Author Topic: Minimum core disk spare if using NAS  (Read 2736 times)

TonyBryan

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Minimum core disk spare if using NAS
« on: August 19, 2009, 10:56:41 am »
Hi all,

I'm looking at using an Acer Aspire Revo R3600 as a hybrid core/MD.  I posted a previous topic on this and the view seems to be it should be possible for a small system.  Worst case if it doesn't work I'll put something bigger in and just use the Acer as an MD elsewhere.

Its possible to pick up a Linux-installed Aspire R3600 with an 8Gb SSD for £150 - which is pretty cool.  The alternative is a Vista-based version with 160GB HDD, but that's an extra £100 for an OS I don't want.

My question is this:  As ALL of my media is on a NAS drive (I will have nothing on the Hybrid Core), how much disk space does a hybrid core actually need?

Thanks,
T

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Minimum core disk spare if using NAS
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 04:44:48 pm »
the base install uses around 15 gigs, and then a couple gigs for each diskless md.

TonyBryan

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 05:56:34 pm »
Thanks for the response.  I think I'll just have to buy an HDD to fit in the box (I wonder if the R3600L can even be upgraded ?!?)

Cheers,
T

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 06:18:42 pm »
note also that lmce will complain if the free disk space gets below 10 gigs.
i cant imagine they would be using anything other than a typical 2.5" hdd. the only thing you have to watch out for is how thick it is, since that does vary.