Author Topic: IR problems with 8.10 BETA. Grrrr.  (Read 4040 times)

pcbastard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
IR problems with 8.10 BETA. Grrrr.
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:25:22 pm »
Ok, I know I must be doing something wrong.  From 7.10 to 8.10 Beta, I have not ever managed to consistantly had IR working for more that a brief time.  I have tried a USB-UIRT and a GC-100. 

Let's start with the USB-UIRT.  How simple, just plug it in and poof it's available!  If I use an exiting Sony TV template, I can manage to get it to transmit something (lovely blinking light).  But, I cannot seem to get it to do more than correctly send a channel change command.  I know what you are thinking, perhaps I am using the wrong set of Pronto codes.  Nope.  If I plug int that very same USB-UIRT into my laptop and use a program called EventGhost, I can get the Sony TV and Sony receiver to dance a jig with the very same Pronto codes!    What is the difference?

In my frustration, I tried my old GC-100.  Plug it in and voila, LMCE sees it enought to install software for it.  Buuuuut!  I see no individual IR out interfaces like I did in 7.10 so no warm fuzzy.  I tried sending codes after making my Sony TV template use the GC-100, but not a single blinky blinky on the GC itself or at the emitter end.

Please slap me.  Ask me for more details (I am at work at the moment).

All I need to be a happy person again is the ability to turn on/off my TV and receiver... :'(

Leo

pcbastard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: IR problems with 8.10 BETA. Grrrr.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 03:46:03 pm »
Wow!  What a response!

Well, just in case anyone is interested, I am now able to do a few things with my USB-UIRT.

I don't know what the differences are with the Pronto codes I got to work from a Windows box and the same USB-UIRT, with the sample Pronto codes that are already available in lmce.  Is anyone a Pronto code/USB-UIRT pro?  If so, I could use some help understanding.

The remaining issues are, 1, I still don't have the ability to change inputs on my Sony TV. , and 2, my Sony DA-5000ES is completely unresponsive to any of the built in codes.

Can anyone say that the have complete control of their equipment using a USB-UIRT?  It won't even learn codes (well, it learns them, but they do not work when tested.).

Any help would be appreciated.

Leo

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 06:13:54 pm »
Can anyone say that the have complete control of their equipment using a USB-UIRT?  It won't even learn codes (well, it learns them, but they do not work when tested.).

I have complete control of my equipment with a USB-UIRT, I am running 0810 Alpha 2.37.  The pronto code format is described in great detail in this article: http://www.remotecentral.com/features/irdisp2.htm.

I use IR emitters connected to my USB-UIRT so the IR codes are sent directly to my devices (within inches).  I have read that the USB-UIRT can have problems sending IR codes to devices without the emitters.  This is likely due to a couple of different issues: attenuation of the IR signals and reflections or scattering of the IR signals, all will interfere with transmission.  Have you tried pointing the USB-UIRT at the television's receiver from a few inches away?  Another thing to verify: ensure that the timing information is correct in the codes you are using, the pronto article describes how to verify this.  You may also try some other Sony TV codes from remotecentral.com's IR Hex code database.

You may also want to check the Com port settings in LMCE for the USB-UIRT, some people have had it change ports on them and stop working, check out: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8900.0

Good luck.

J.

Rukus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 06:19:21 pm »
As you know there are some bugs with the 810 beta that are being worked on. With that said, IR can be a bit dodgy, but you should be able to get it to work in both 710 and 810. When I had IR working I had to do the following to shutoff my tv and/or turn down the volume. Go to --> Advanced -> IR Codes -> <Your Device> -> (tv on/off, etc).  

In terms of the IR learning codes, you may need to follow the directions below before attempting to learn the button codes. I'm sure this fix is already in 810, but it may not hurt to try.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/USB-UIRT_x86_Fix

Hope this helps

Ernesto
Core/Generic Hybrid MD
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core
GPU: GPU: XFX PVT84GUDF3 GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 06:30:20 pm »
In terms of the IR learning codes, you may need to follow the directions below before attempting to learn the button codes. I'm sure this fix is already in 810, but it may not hurt to try.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/USB-UIRT_x86_Fix

Learning works OOTB in 0810, the fix is included in newer kernels.  

I just tested my USB-UIRT without the Xantech emitters as well and all my devices are still controlled perfectly with my USB-UIRT pointing out into the room (away from my IR devices).

J.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 06:33:01 pm by phenigma »

Rukus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 07:00:02 pm »
phenigma,

That's good to know. Do you have to go through Advanced -> IR Codes to contorl your AV Equipment?
Core/Generic Hybrid MD
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core
GPU: GPU: XFX PVT84GUDF3 GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 07:10:01 pm »
That's good to know. Do you have to go through Advanced -> IR Codes to contorl your AV Equipment?

Nope.  Once the device templates are properly defined and you define the audio and video pipes correctly in Web Admin -> Wizard -> Devices -> A/V Equipment - Connection Wizard, LMCE will automatically turn on/off devices and set the proper inputs on all the devices it knows about... automatically.  Then I use my tablet or webdt or nokia (or mce remote, etc...) to change channels or access my satellite receiver and LMCE sends all the IR commands automatically.

J.