Author Topic: Dansguardian port forwarding 80 to 8081  (Read 33735 times)

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
Re: Dansguardian port forwarding 80 to 8081
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2009, 10:42:51 am »
Another (future) improvement may be to use squid instead of tinyproxy so that you get caching as well.
I have had some success with this. I am re-building my core at the moment and then intend to follow this wiki entry. I also use HavP and ClamAV in the "chain" to virus scan the pages coming down. That has saved my clients from a few nasties too over the years!

Once I have the full thing working, I'll update the Wiki ;D (Probably end of the week at the earliest.)
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

anupindi007

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2009, 09:00:32 pm »
Joseph, I have updated the following link for webmin & dg webmin module and please verify the same.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_Dansguardian_on_LinuxMCE

Thanks,
Srinivasu Anupindi

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2009, 04:54:47 am »
Srinivasu,

Looks very good.  Thank you.

Also, I confirmed that dg filtering does not work on reboot.  All of the services start except for shorewall.   So once you start shorewall it works.  (also shorewall - shoreline firewall is not a daemon, so ps -ef |grep won't help.)

What I did was use webmin
under Networking / Shoreline Firewall you can just hit the start shorewall button and it will begin (if you prefer not to work with the cli).  Then you can confirm that it is working.

To make it persistent, you can also use webmin.
Go to the System / Bootup and Shutdown menu and check shorewall and click the 'start at boot' button.

All done!

joseph

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2010, 07:20:19 pm »
Paul,
Did you get dansguardian working with squid? 
thanks,
joseph

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2010, 03:08:09 pm »
Just my opinion: i have two kids (17 and 14) and discovered that they allways find a way to bypass the protections.
So i spoke with them and made an agreement: everything is free but with responsability. They are allowed to surf, but with limits and the limits where negotiated. If not respected, complete computer access off. I do log what is being visited, so i know what is being visited.
Nowadays, kids have friends, some with boundaries, others without, so they have all sort of information. Having them growing up with responsabilities and boundaries, i think is a mater of negotiating, and not blocking..... was easier for our parents.
The best and the worst can be found on TV, corners, schools and internet.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:10:03 pm by pw44 »

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2010, 01:16:41 am »
schaferj,

Not yet. Ran into some difficulties and simply getting my core to do what it is supposed to is my main priority. I will post back here if / when I have something to report.

pw44,

This has been discussed at length, both here and elsewhere. You are, of course, correct, however simply briefing / threatening your children is not, IMHO, sufficient to absolve you of parental responsibility. For example, one of my hobbies is woodwork. I have a lot of potentially dangerous tools. All of my children know this and know that they are not to touch / use them. I still, however, keep the sharpest high up, out of the reach of my younger children and keep my workshop locked with the key unavailable to them. Most households have dangerous chemicals and pharasuticals around. Kids should be, and are, warned of the dangers, yet we still keep them out of reach in "child proof" containers. I could go on! Yes, it is up to each of us to parent in the way we see fit. That means I respect your right to take your approach, but you must also respect other's rights to take a different one. This thread was started on a technical level and it keeps being dragged into a debate on morals. That is irrelevant. For a whole host of reasons, people want to be able to transparently proxy through, amongst other things, web filtering software. They (we) should be able to do that and have support in doing so.

Just my 10 Eurocents.
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2010, 01:52:48 am »
Paul, i was not trying to disrespect your point of view. I just told that best and wrong can be found anywhere and IMHO, the best way is to clarify the kids and make them part of an agreement, with commitment.  Will not approach this subject again.
Best wishes.