Author Topic: 810 internet install failed  (Read 5464 times)

gaspala

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
810 internet install failed
« on: February 11, 2010, 11:17:32 pm »
Today (2/11/10) I tried to install 810 using internet version (no dvd). I am currently running 710 on this one. Tried to install a 810 on a new hard disk.

Kubuntu 810 was successful. Fixed the eth0 to the external network. Used the scripts at http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_0810 to install 810.

After the reboot, I only saw the X cursor. Logged on to one of the consoles and looked for the error message and noticed the following symptoms.
- ifconfig showed only 'lo'
- LaunchManager log shows 'pluto_main' database is not available. I verified and it is not there.

I tried twice and it was the same error both times.

I had to revert back to 710. Earlier in December I was able to successfully test the internet install on a spare machine. Looks like something is broke now. Is there a different way to install 810 now.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Re: 810 internet install failed
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 05:07:01 pm »
I would recommend the DVD install, I had nothing but problems with the internet install (and the DVD install is much MUCH quicker as well).

Buy/borrow/steal a DVD-RW drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118032
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:07:51 pm »
Same Thing...

Ever since Update 2010-01-16 22689, my stable system has been erratic at best.  Some times when I reboot I would have my motion wrapper and sometimes not, No Cameras.  Also, upon a reboot, the system would constantly reload the dcerouter, over and over about 5 to 10 times then settle down on it's own.  I finally got tired of the illusive crap and decided I'd do a clean re-install... Even a bigger mistake!

The  3 GOOD Kubuntu 810 installs/Updates were followed by 3 Blown LinuxMCE Internet Installs, always ending with an error and upon reboot, the system just crashes and reboots over and over!  

I can't do a DVD Download and install because all of the DVD torrent Links are no good. This is the same good hardware I've been using on my Core for over a year, nothing has changed.

I'm presently reinstalling 810-Beta2 right now and if I end in an error I'm not rebooting this time, I'm going to dig as deep as I can for the snafu because there is no rebooting unless you exit Grub and get to a terminal.  

I'll let you know what errors I end up with this time.

Charles

slampt

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 03:19:19 am »
I too had this problem the other day using the net install.
I haven't done any research yet as to why but I will tomorrow.

Slampt

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 04:41:20 am »
I have had problems also.  Kubuntu installs no problem.  Net install/dvd install does not seem to matter.  Yesterday the install failed on pluto_orbiter not installing.  Today the install finished apparently normally, but after the required reboot the system would start to boot get past the kubuntu splash screen and then spontaneously reboot.  I did notice that there was an error connecting to the database.  This happened so fast that it took a while to see part of the message.  Today I just let it continue to reboot over and over. I walked away and when I came back the avwizard was ready for me to configure it.  The setup wizard started a short time later and I was able to configure that part.  The only I am having at the moment is getting my micasaverde zwave dongle to start.  It is seen but I get an error message saying it can't start and that there is something wrong.  I rebooted the machine to see if that corrected the problem and so far things are not going well.  The system is starting the interface because a log is starting but the usb port is not being automatically selected and when I select the port i think it is and reload the router it does not stay selected.

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 810 internet install failed, Then Mysteriously Worked
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 06:48:06 pm »
I have had problems also.  Kubuntu installs no problem.  Net install/dvd install does not seem to matter.  Yesterday the install failed on pluto_orbiter not installing.  Today the install finished apparently normally, but after the required reboot the system would start to boot get past the kubuntu splash screen and then spontaneously reboot.  I did notice that there was an error connecting to the database.  This happened so fast that it took a while to see part of the message.  Today I just let it continue to reboot over and over. I walked away and when I came back the avwizard was ready for me to configure it.  The setup wizard started a short time later and I was able to configure that part.  The only I am having at the moment is getting my micasaverde zwave dongle to start.  It is seen but I get an error message saying it can't start and that there is something wrong.  I rebooted the machine to see if that corrected the problem and so far things are not going well.  The system is starting the interface because a log is starting but the usb port is not being automatically selected and when I select the port i think it is and reload the router it does not stay selected.

This is exactly what happened to me, the core started rebooting a couple of times so I too walked away then when I came back the AVWizard on the core was there.  This is different from the previous attempts which continued to reboot with a flash of MySQL problems to fast to document.  Anyway, I completed the setup and haven't had any problems since.  I don't have micasaverde so I can't weight in on that.  I use a Tricklestar so after customizing the template, as usual, I connected the Zwave USB Dongle and it was recognized as it should be.

Both my 1.5TB drives sdb1 and sdc1 with all of my media was also recognized properly.  The only little glitch was my second camera, an analog connected to a Bluecherry card, in the core, it caused the Motion Wrapper not to initialize.  I setup my Motion Wrapper and added my first camera, a D-Link IP, and all was OK. I then added my second camera, an analog connected to port 1(port 0) on the config, and then I had erratic Motion Wrapper inits after router reloads.  This is the same setup I've used for the last year with no problems and no changes to hardware.  I then deleted the second camera that I just created, set it up again, and then it worked.  Go Figure!  

Things get fixed, and other things break...  That what Alpha and Beta is.  If we can't fix it all we can do is report it and give feedback to help the programmers.

Thanks, Charles

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 07:08:53 pm »
Yup that is exactly what I am doing.  I have a couple of other things going on too.  I changed to an ASRock motherboard so that I could take advantage of a quad core amd processor i have and I cannot remember if my dongle problems started before or after I started using the new mb so I could have a dongle that is failing.  I am going to put the old mb in a case and load up a fresh install and see what happens.  I will report what I find once I get there.

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 11:27:46 pm »
Right now I have two machines going through the reboot shuffle.  Both seemed to install ok but each time the machine reboots there is a message that says something about not being able to connect to the sql server.  Things are happening so fast that I cannot tell what it is trying to say.

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 01:23:07 am »
Well it is still rebooting.  On one of the reboots I went into recovery console trying to find a log that indicated what might be happening but no luck there.  Once I resumed a normal boot, the nvidia driver announced it was finished installing and required a reboot.  So the reboots continue.

gaspala

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 810 internet install failed - May have been solved
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 05:14:31 am »
Looks like the issue was some update in ubuntu kernel packages. Check out http://www.linuxmce.org/index.php/news/developer/145-catch-up-with-ubuntu for further info.

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 01:00:16 am »
Thx.  I did see the kernel compiling and realized something new was going on, but I was still seeing problems after that notice.  On the 14th I had installed on two separate systems and they rebooted until I could not stand it anymore.  I did finally get the system to install by using a beta2 dvd to install kubuntu and then doing a net install.  Of course this could all be coincidence and I installed just after things were fixed.  I have plenty of hardware so I can do some testing and report back.

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 02:15:51 pm »
I just did a fresh install with just a kubuntu 0810 i386 dvd and a net install.  While installing, x seems to have locked up.  I can still type in the terminal window to continue the various stages of the install.  Also, there is a complaint from dpkg that /usr/lib/libvdpau1.so.1 cannot be overwritten.  This may be because it seems to be an update to the existing nvida 180 driver that is currently in use.  Post install seems to install nvidia195 without problems.  On a reboot once the post-install script finishes the system constantly reboots.  I am going to install with a beta 2 dvd next with only a net install and see what happens.  I will let you know.

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 06:19:21 pm »
It looks as if there is better luck with the Beta2 dvd.  I installed from the Beta2 dvd, dist-upgraded, and network installed lmce.  Once that was complete I did a reboot.  The installation only rebooted once on its own then started the avwizard and everything else worked normally.  So it looks as if a beta2 dvd may be a must to have an error free install.