Author Topic: Samba: getting location to show up.  (Read 4166 times)

pikohn

• View Profile
Samba: getting location to show up.
« on: August 14, 2009, 03:39:21 pm »
Hello,

I've finally got alpha 2 of linuxmce installed. I have a question. I am trying to get a couple of locations to show up in my mc through samba. Currently, the only way I can access these drives is by typing in the ip directly. 'smb://192.168....' in other words the workgroup seems to be invisible to dolphin. If you guys could help me out, I would be thankful.

Mike

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Samba: getting location to show up.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 04:38:09 pm »
from your description I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to do, from where or why! please provide a much more complete description of these points.....

pikohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 04:59:55 pm »
OK,

In a nut shell...I am trying to get linuxmce to see media on another machine through samba.
the machine I want linuxmce to recognize runs Kubuntu 9.10.
I'm not sure how to make this happen.

The reason I want to do this is because the 9.10 machine has over 2TB of room.

Sorry for not being clear the first time.

Mike   

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 06:32:28 pm »
if this 9.10 machine has samba turned on and shares defined, lmce should detect it automatically and ask you what to do with the shares, assuming your network is setup correctly.

pikohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 09:21:47 pm »
ok, after a little tinkering i got the shares to show up in KDE. But linuxmce still isn't seeing them. Is it because access is password protected?

Mike

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 11:52:44 pm »
The objective isn't to get the 910 shares to "show up" in KDE on your LMCE machine... you must not try to map them manually in any way... if you do then you will screw things up... hopefully you haven't done this.

All you need to do is ensure that samba is enabled on your 0910 machine, then create a new directory somewhere on that machine and share it out with full read-write access and no username/password.

As long as you have your LMCE set up using the correct networking - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Network_Setup it will discover the share on its own and prompt you about it.

It detects the 910 machine as a device when it first gets a DHCP address from the core (poweup, say) and will periodically prompt afterwards unless you tell it to ignore the machine. If you did then you need to unlock it again. If not, try rebooting the 910 box after creating the share.

Once you get it detected and tell it which share to use (using LMCE's folder structure option) it will create some folders under that share and you can move your media into the appriopriate folders.

pikohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 12:08:17 am »
Thank you for your reply. I have indeed chosen to manually set up shares with user names and passwords. I am almost there and am running in to one snag. It seem there is a bug in cifs that needs you to provide a domain name in order to mount the share. http://vijayk.blogspot.com/2008/09/cifs-mount-error-13-permission-denied.html I looked at the script to try and change this myself and it might as well of been greek. If someone can help me put domain=xxx in the code I would be thankful. I know this works because i tried the command with and without.

Mike

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 12:47:51 am »
As you have chosen to go off in a different direction, rather than the described one, I cannot help you any further other than to say don't try to move the mountain to mohamed! All devices that interoperate using Samba/SMB/CIFS need to be in the LINUXMCE "domain", so move your 0910 machine into that domain rather than trying to edit LMCE's scripts. BTW, needing a "domain" is not a bug, it is the "workgroup" context that the security model requires and is normal. Some less secure systems may overlook that and assume the local context, but that is more a bug in those systems...

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 01:34:46 am »
pikohn, Hi.

I'm one of the core devs.

Hate to tell you bro, you're being an idiot. The direction you're going in, will bring you much pain, for absolutely no gain.

Please listen to col, an set the system up as it's intended.

-Thom

pikohn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 01:50:12 am »
I'm more than willing to do it this way...I was just following information that was posted in the wiki. Can someone tell me what options need to be added to samba conf to make this a reality?

Mike

pikohn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 03:43:26 am »
Well i figured it out...thanks for putting up with my stupid comments and questions. Sorry if i offended anyone.