Author Topic: Who is currently using the Fiire gyro remote?? Please vote  (Read 6236 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Who is currently using the Fiire gyro remote?? Please vote
« on: August 14, 2009, 01:04:46 am »
The Fiire Chief gyro remote (the ugly brown thing!) worked brilliantly under 0710, however due to changes in the Linux kernel Human Interface Device subsystem in later versions, this remote no longer works properly in Kubuntu versions 0804 and later. This means the remote becomes useless for LMCE 0810 and onwards.

It requires significant recoding to provide support for this device - and it would be good to know how many people out there have one, are using it, and want to be able to continue using it now that 0710 is no longer supported and 0810 is almost here.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Who is currently using the Fiire gyro remote?? Please vote
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 01:40:43 am »
Yes I use it and want it supported but its value is diminishing as I have a few WebDT's now and a windows MCE remote is very cheap now. I am not really using the gyro aspect or the follow-me aspect on it so......

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 01:16:33 pm »
I use the remote daily. Would like gyro to work but would settle for just the navigation buttons.
Core: Broken :(

fido

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 01:29:15 pm »
i have two fiire chiefs and love them....i would really like them to work in 0810...and work like they do in 0710 with the three key navigation, absolute positioning during movies,follow me etc

Otherwise we might as well just get a gyration 3101 thingy....

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 05:24:20 pm »
I have one, but find it cumbersome to use due to having a small TV, even with sensitivity turned way down. I much prefer the windows orbiter on my labtop.

One thing I miss when using the windows orbiter is continuous absolute-control of volume and lighting that is made possible by the Fiire. Would be great if I could have the best of both worlds.

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 04:58:45 am »
I don't care about follow-me, but having the rest would be nice.

patmankn

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 02:20:39 pm »
Hi,

i would love to see the fiire chief beiing supported in the new upcoming releases. Its still quite smooth ;O)
Hybrid: MSI MS-7329,Nvidia 6150 onboard,AMD BE-2400,2gb RAM,Sharp Aqous LE 37X20E via MD Zotoc Ion Synergy,Terratec 1200 & Cinergy DT USB Diversity DVB-T, KNC ONE TV-Station DVB-C,WebDT366,Fiire Chief http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/User:Patmankn

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 03:55:52 pm »
Col, can we do the same thing as last time, and set up a pool to keep track of who has/will donate?

-Thom

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 05:25:40 pm »
I have two Fiire Chiefs and they're my main method of controlling my system.  So much so that I will most likely not upgrade to 810 if they're not supported.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 11:56:54 pm »
it is somewhat disappointing that 10 people care so little that they didn't even choose the option "would like to see it supported for the good of the community", just the I don't care option! You've got your free smart home software, apparently that's all that matters.

Nevertheless - I see we have at least 16 people who really do care quite a bit.

Those of 16 of you.... now is the time to go off and and find one of the 2 threads Thom/tschak909 has posted about raising funds to get it supported, there is a paypal address there .... show your support in a material sense and donate some money. Bare in mind that we only appear to have 16 people, so the more you can donate, the more time that can be spent on resolving this issue!

garg_art2002

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Home Site
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 09:03:57 pm »
The Fiire Chief gyro remote (the ugly brown thing!) worked brilliantly under 0710, however due to changes in the Linux kernel Human Interface Device subsystem in later versions, this remote no longer works properly in Kubuntu versions 0804 and later. This means the remote becomes useless for LinuxMCE 0810 and onwards.

It requires significant recoding to provide support for this device - and it would be good to know how many people out there have one, are using it, and want to be able to continue using it now that 0710 is no longer supported and 0810 is almost here.
Hi Colin - My Fiire remote worked briefly (and at least partially) in 810 before it got disabled. I initially thought that this may be due to alpha nature of the LMCE810, untill I stumbled upon this note. I think the fiire remote worked with the XBMC when I tried so the drivers may be available somewhere.
Without the Fiire gyro remote the media center becomes a computer!!
Anil
Linux MCE.  Next best thing since slice of bread. (Audio, Video, Webserver, NAS - All rolled into one cool appliance).

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 09:12:53 pm »
garg_art2002, Dude, please listen to me. Don't argue, just listen.

The Fiire remote never worked completely with 0810. This is due to underlying kernel subsystem changes. Because the kernel appropriates all input devices for itself now, we can't use the HIDInterface code in Orbiter to talk to the remote, as it is. the libusb calls do not work, so:

* You can't use all the buttons
* the automatic gyro on/off control does not work
* Remote binding does not work, so no follow me.

There isn't a case of a DRIVER, because the remote was MADE for LinuxMCE. The support is built in OrbiterGL itself as part of the HIDInterface class. Go look at the code if you want to see.

IT HAS TO BE REWRITTEN USING THE KERNEL FACILITIES.

I know what has to be done, I know how much time it will take, I just need donations so i can work on it RIGHT NOW, so that I can PAY RENT next month.

-Thom

The Fiire Chief gyro remote (the ugly brown thing!) worked brilliantly under 0710, however due to changes in the Linux kernel Human Interface Device subsystem in later versions, this remote no longer works properly in Kubuntu versions 0804 and later. This means the remote becomes useless for LinuxMCE 0810 and onwards.

Hi Colin - My Fiire remote worked briefly (and at least partially) in 810 before it got disabled. I initially thought that this may be due to alpha nature of the LMCE810, untill I stumbled upon this note. I think the fiire remote worked with the XBMC when I tried so the drivers may be available somewhere.
Without the Fiire gyro remote the media center becomes a computer!!
Anil

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 09:42:17 pm »
it is somewhat disappointing that 10 people care so little that they didn't even choose the option "would like to see it supported for the good of the community", just the I don't care option! You've got your free smart home software, apparently that's all that matters.

I'm one of the now 12 people that voted "No I don't use it, and don't really care if it is supported."  It's interesting that you'd create a poll in which you chastise people for selecting one of the options. 

Here is my take - The fiire remote is no longer sold, I don't have one, and if I were to acquire one from somewhere it would likely be over priced with no vendor support and eventually die with an even harder time replacing it.  I'm satisfied with a regular MCE style remote, and if I want gyro support I can always buy a supported gyro remote now that Thom has added support for it.  As far as I am aware, the only lacking feature of the gyro remote is follow me (810 gyration vs. 710 fiire), and in reality that feature still exists but takes a couple more button presses. 

While I chose the "I don't care" option, the true answer is closer to "it would be nice for those that already have a Fiire remote, but it's old legacy hardware that is no longer manufactured.  I don't see much in the way of long term benefits for a majority of LMCE users."

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 11:01:36 pm »
I was really just commenting that I was disappointed that as many as 10 (now 12) people chose that option.. i don't think it is strange that someone would comment on the distribution of the voting... in any case, the point of the thread is to see how many people chose the first option, as these are the people that could make a difference....

arends

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 12:33:10 am »
Hi

Have acquired 2 Fiire chiefs in March, togeter with some Fiire gear.
Did not have the time to get things up and running yet, so I did not use the FiireChiefs YET,
- But I intented to !!-
Have a Revo too, since the Fiire gear is a bit too noisy.
Seems to me that in order to get the PC's to work I need 8.10 and in order to
use the remote i have to use 7.04.

So obviously I would like it supported

Paul