Author Topic: Pluto and id3 tags  (Read 5427 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto and id3 tags
« on: August 15, 2006, 03:01:51 am »
Having a very annoying problem with pluto.  Seems it's overwriting my id3 tags.  The damage ranges from downgrading the tag version from 2.4 to 2.3  all the way to truncating entries or replacing the version 2 tags with version 1 info.  Any ideas?  Disableing the media updater helped, but after I rebooted from the 2.0.0.40 update all of my tags have been trashed again.  Is there any way to prevent pluto from modifing my tags but still have the media database updated?

Thanks,
Jason

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto and id3 tags
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 10:44:47 am »
Hi,

UpdateMedia daemon keeps the id3 tags and the database in sync and for this is using the latest version of libid3 (3.8.3)  (see http://id3lib.sourceforge.net/). However, tt seems that it doesn't support yet 2.4 tag version.

When pluto boots up, all the files are automatically (re)indexed. If you don't want this, the only solution for you will be to rename/delete /usr/pluto/bin/UpdateMedia, but doing this, the database and id3 tags won't be in sync anymore. Also, UpdateMedia daemon will be disabled. We'll consider in the future the possibility to tell UpdateMedia to sync only the database using id3 tags, but not viceversa.

Best regards,
Cristian Miron

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto and id3 tags
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 04:19:54 pm »
Thanks for the info.  After I redo all my tags I'll try to modify UpdateMedia to only sync to the database.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto and id3 tags
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 10:03:04 am »
Hi,

I guess the best solution would be to use an /etc/UpdateMedia.conf with a setting like SyncId3Files=0 and in PlutoMediaFile.cpp, to test this in PlutoMediaFile::SavePlutoAttributes method. UpdateMedia sources are located in our svn here: http://svn.plutohome.com/pluto/trunk/src/UpdateMedia/ .

If you think you can add this feature to UpdateMedia, I can commit your changes to our svn. If not, I'll create a mantis for me and I'll do this in the near feature.

Thanks,
Cristian Miron.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto and id3 tags
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 06:43:24 pm »
Thanks for the pointer.  I'm trying to add the feature now.  I'm not too good with C++, so the problem I'm having at the moment is getting the value of my variable bSyncId3Files from main (where I read in the conf file) over to PlutoMediaFile::SavePlutoAttributes (where I'm checking the value ie true or false).  So I guess my question is: Do I have to pass my variable through a bunch of method and function calls to get it there or is there some sort of global conf variable area already in place that I should be using?  Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Jason

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto and id3 tags
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 07:37:05 pm »
I guess you could read the config file from main or UpdateMedia's contructor and then make a static member variable m_bSyncId3Files for PlutoMediaFile, with the default = true.
From the place where you'll read the config, you could do then just a PlutoMediaFile::m_bSyncId3Files = false. Being a static, all PlutoMediaFile will share the same m_bSyncId3Files member variable.

Hope this helps,
Cristian Miron

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto and id3 tags
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 04:39:45 pm »
Helped a lot, Thanks

I believe I have a workable solutio.  I have not tested it yet out of fear ;)  The code compiles clean and I tried to maintain the existing coding style in my additions.  The little C++ I know is rather rusty.  Do you have any recomendations as to the best way to test the new code out?

Thanks,
Jason

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto and id3 tags
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 04:52:09 pm »
Hi,

Yes, you can test UpdateMedia without breaking your media. Just run it manually, not as a daemon (without -B command line parameter) and choose the folder to scan like this: -d "/home/public/data/videos/mytestfolder".

Best regards,
Cristian Miron

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto and id3 tags
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 04:53:38 pm »
Btw, don't forget about -h "myhost" parameter ;)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto and id3 tags
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 05:24:51 pm »
It works :)  or atleast appears to in my initial testing.  The first test without the config file produced the expected results of my test files tag being overwriten.  The second test with the config file in place produced the results I was looking for in that the test files tag was not overwriten.  It probably needs more testing, but so far it's working.  My next question is, what tables in the database need to be wiped so I can start over once I have all my tags fixed?

Cristian, thanks for your help.  Are you still wanting my changes?

Thanks,
Jason

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto and id3 tags
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 05:34:13 pm »
All the data for your files is stored in pluto_media database, table "File". However, there are few other tables which have foreign keys to File table like "File_Attribute", "Attribute" which you might want to purge.

Whenever you think it works ok, you can send me an email with the source code and I'll commit your changes in our svn. My email address is chris.m at plutohome dot com.

Best regards,
Cristian Miron