Author Topic: Can you install skins for MythTV?  (Read 7272 times)

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
Can you install skins for MythTV?
« on: August 09, 2009, 02:08:15 pm »
I know this has been asked before, but can you install alternative skins for MythTV? I found a pretty cool MythTV skin that will go well with my current LCARS Skin that I am working on for UI 1 and UI2. I just want to make sure that If I tried to install a skin for Myth That it wouldn't break anything in LMCE.
Core: Broken :(

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Can you install skins for MythTV?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 06:42:13 pm »
Yes.

-Thom

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 08:33:51 pm »
I know this has been asked before, but can you install alternative skins for MythTV? I found a pretty cool MythTV skin that will go well with my current LCARS Skin that I am working on for UI 1 and UI2. I just want to make sure that If I tried to install a skin for Myth That it wouldn't break anything in LinuxMCE.

Sure thats no problem at all. Just copy the Theme you want to install into;

/usr/share/mythtv/themes/

Then restart the mythfrontend and your all done.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 08:38:43 pm »
Sweeet.. thank you
Those are the answers I like to hear.
LCARS is nearly complete. I will give the updated skin over when finished. My goal is to have it done by aug 28th.

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 03:05:16 pm »
I tried installing the skin. When I download the skin it comes with some exe file in which the skin is compressed. I launched the exe from my windows pc and it installed a directory in which the skin was located. So I moved the skin into the correct Mythtv themes directory, regened the orbiter and reset the router and still I do not have the ability to select the skin. Is there something I am doing wrong?
I tried to google the issue but I could not find much about installing themes for myth except for ubuntu prepackaged themes.

Does regening the orbiter restart the myth front end or do I need to do something else?

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 04:37:17 pm »
mythtv skin in an exe? what kinda moron...
mythtv is completely separate from lmce, and so has its own settings. your best bet is to start "TV", press esc to get back to the menu, then go into settings where you can change the skin. otherwise you can edit the database directly.

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 05:36:50 pm »
mythtv is completely separate from lmce, and so has its own settings. your best bet is to start "TV", press esc to get back to the menu, then go into settings where you can change the skin. otherwise you can edit the database directly.

When I go into the settings menu in Myth my skin does not show up as an option under the appearance setup. I only have the choice of GANT and that blue one. I was reading about creating skins in Myth (which I think I may just do instead of using a third party one) and there was mention of a theme.xml file. I did not see this file in the directory that I unpacked form the installer. I have a feeling that there is something wrong with the skin I have. I will mess with it. I may just have to make a LCARS skin for Myth to go along with the LCARS skin that I am using for LMCE.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 06:01:39 pm »
yeah, i would guess also that there is something wrong with the skin, if for no other reason than tha rather strange packaging...
if its a common theme, then it should already be in an ubuntu package "mythtv-themes-extra" or something similar. in any case, take a look at whats in /usr/share/mythtv/themes and see how it matches up with what you downloaded.

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 08:45:23 pm »
Wow, I feel like a dumbass. So I did my search for Mythtv themes and I found a LCARS one that looked really neat and without hesitation I downloaded it. After it did not work I went back and looked at the site I got it from. It is a skin for GB-PVR for windows. Which looks oddly a lot like Mythtv.
I guess I am just going to have to design one myself.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 09:38:09 pm »
oops :)
not sure how much effort should be invested in a mythtv theme, seing as it will eventually never be seen as all functionality is replicated in orbiter. might want to consider that.

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 09:52:04 pm »
True,
I just want me screens to match the rest of my LMCE Skin for UI 1 and UI 2 that I have been working on. I don't know how it will be integrated in 8.10 so it may not matter.