Author Topic: Recommended configuration?  (Read 6570 times)

igno

• View Profile
Re: Recommended configuration?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 09:38:10 am »
Well, 9200 is the one that is installed in the "second option". As for the comparison, it was somewhere deep in www.nvidia.com (there were some graphs that show that 9200 is really not the best option).
Frankly, I'm not blaming LinuxMCE for anything, just saying that HW support could have been better, especially, when you literally compare it with other products like e.g. WinMCE and claim that it is much better. I just mean that it is not so nice promotional step, thats it.

PS!

I'm not representing Microsoft in any way and whatever I say here can _NOT_ be counted as any kind of official Microsoft opinion! Everything I say is just MHO.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 12:50:45 am »
Hardware support can always be better, naturally!

That being said, we need to be clear here - it is not a matter of LMCE supporting hardware, it is more a matter of hardware supporting LMCE (or more specifically Linux and certain OpenGL requirements). LMCE will work with any GPU hardware as long as the manufacturer has decent support of the Linux platform and a reasonable OpenGL implementation.

Unfortuantely, only nVidia has bothered with this so far. Their driver is pretty good, but still has big holes - but most importantly it is not open source, nor is the "API" for accessing their hardware... so when there is a bug or a new feature required, we have to wait for nVidia to fix/implement it. This is very poor form, but still light years ahead of most of the other manufacturers. That being said, Intel and ATI seem to be moving towards a more supported and open model, so this may change in the medium term.

But for now, you have the selection of pretty much any GPU from probably the biggest GPU manufacturer. That's hardly a limitation :) And you can get Via, Intel and ATI hardware to work as long as you use UI1.

As for the 9200 - clearly it isn't as fast as higher models in their range, and that is the point, really. However, it is vastly faster at OpenGL manipulation and rendering than anything that LMCE is likely to need, and I believe that the video decode acceleration is probably more than fast enough for 1080p - 264, so it really doesn't matter all that much... maybe even save you money!

If you have the link to the comparison (particularly video decode acceleration) please post it so that we can determine where the chip stands in performance.

As far as Microsoft is concerned, the corollary of the above is true too.... it isn't that Microsoft supports more hardware, it is that more hardware supports Microsoft, for the obvious reasons. An academic point, maybe, but it is important to realise that support says nothing about the relative qualities of either Windows or Linux MCE.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 01:14:59 pm »
Another thing that worries me is that 1.6Ghz ... Would it be enough for MD?

The Packard Bell is an Acer Revo rebadged. The Revo has a single core Atom 1.6Ghz processor & uses the nVidia Ion. It will be fine for playing back any media including HD material at 1080p.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

igno

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 03:19:58 pm »
Well, as said, the link to comparison got lost (my bad), but I'm working hard on finding it. I do agree, though that it is the matter of HW supporting Linux (not even only MCE, but in general), rather than vice versa.

As for the "feeling hurt about MS Windows", I must say that what I meant was a comparison in demo. But that is in any way the matter of PR. I'm an IT person and I'm not in any way interested in promotions/commercials/etc, but that really hurts my ears to listen that something is better than something. Whatever ...