tschak helped me to overcome this problem!
Symptoms: The touchscreen always brings up the Lighting "More" menu. The problem seems like every touch of the touchscreen clicks in the upper left hand corner.
Problem: The GenericHIDInterface drivers need to be rewritten. Currently, the event packet is being decoded incorrectly, and in fact the touchscreen device shouldn't even be grabbed by the GenericHIDInterface drivers. So let's just remove that functionality from the MD where the touchscreen is installed!
1) Checkout the svn source if you haven't already: svn co http://svn.linuxmce.org/svn/branches/LinuxMCE-0810/src
2) Comment out line 781 from /src/Orbiter/Orbiter.cpp: //pthread_create(&m_GenericHidThreadID, NULL, ProcessGenericHIDEvents, (void*)m_pGenericHIDInterface);
3) Download the libraries necessary to make the Orbiter. I downloaded the following libraries, though I might have more in the list than are necessary:
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev libxtst6-dev libxtst-dev libxmu-dev libhid-dev libusb-dev libttf-dev libtexttools-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-sge-dev
4) Copy the files from /usr/pluto/lib into /src/lib (into your svn tree)
sudo cp /usr/pluto/lib/* ../../src/lib/
5) make clean ; make bin
6) Copy the Orbiter binary into /usr/pluto/bin on your MD.
7) Restart your MD.
Thats it! Obviously, this is a workaround and if anyone would like to work on fixing GenericHIDInterface, here's some words from tshack on the topic:
<TSCHAKeee> right now, there is a method in there that just looks for all the event devices in a directory, and grabs them
<TSCHAKeee> this needs to be changed to only grab the devices a template specifies.
<TSCHAKeee> this would solve the problem.
<TSCHAKeee> it doesn't exist
<TSCHAKeee> it would need to be specified i.e.
<TSCHAKeee> with the ability to specify more of them by separating them with something like a |