Author Topic: Install issues w/ M3N78-Pro  (Read 2548 times)

Snailkeeper

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Install issues w/ M3N78-Pro
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:14:49 am »
I know you all probably hate getting this sort of posts, and I'm sorry! I'm pretty much a Linux noob, and I've gotten as far as I can on my own reading through posts here and on the LinuxMCE Wiki. I've done my homework, but I'm stumped.

Like the title says, I've got a M3n78-Pro (onboard Geforce 8300) with an AMD Phenom 64 processor. Installing LinuxMCE version 0710 RC2 via DVD.

After installing, I was getting the blank/flashing screen problem.

I read about having to upgrade the nVidia drivers for the M3N78 Pro to work properly; I downloaded and installed the latest drivers (in "recovery mode" following this: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers#NVidia_Chipsets) and checked /etc/x11/xorg.conf to make sure the nVidia driver is selected (not vesa). It is.

When I reboot and press shift to run the AVWizard (I've not successfully been able to display this yet), I eventually get the "AVWizard cannot start x" error.

When I reboot without pressing shift, I see Kubuntu splash screen and the boot process gets to:

Starting up ...
Loading, please wait...

Ubuntu 7.10 dcerouter tty1

dcerouter login:  * Starting Samba daemons                  [ok]

* Restarting UPnP Media Server fuppesd

and just keeps blinking from that to a black screen with [ok] in the right corner and a flashing cursor a line down.

I also get the following error repeating a lot if I leave the machine on for a while:

[  429.884000] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available or load failed.

I've been doing reading up on how to fix whatever the problem is for days, but I'm completely stumped!

If you need any more info, let me know; I really don't know what sort of info is needed to figure this out. Thanks again!

qball4

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Install issues w/ M3N78-Pro
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 07:51:20 am »
I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but you'll probably encounter fewer problems using 0810 alpha with that board versus trying to get it to work with 0710. Beyond getting the video to work, you need to recompile the kernel to include the Realtek PHY NIC support and then use the workaround for the HPET/MythTV bug.

Believe me, save yourself the hassle and go with 0810. Whatever you do, if you want S/PDIF or TOSLINK support you'll need an ASUS breakout board (can be found for $20 on ebay) and ALSA 1.0.20.

:Matt

Snailkeeper

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Install issues w/ M3N78-Pro
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:18:41 pm »
Ouch, yeah, getting 0710 to work sounds probably more complicated than I really want to struggle through. I'll get 0810, and the breakout board.

Thanks so much for the advice!