Author Topic: LinuxMCE Admin --> Files & Media cannot access (sdb1) after reinstalling Core  (Read 11431 times)

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
After reinstalling LinuxMCE 810 Alpha2-Latest on my Core, in LinuxMCE Admin, "Admin --> Files & Media --> Media Files Sync" does not list my existing (sdb1) data drive containing my Media previously ripped, so that editing/updating of Media can be done.  The Audio and Video files (CDs and Movies) are still present and can be accessed from any Orbiter and played on all Media Directors as before, however, since the drive no longer shows up in "Admin --> Files & Media --> Media Files Sync", they cannot be accessed to correct cover art and titles and obtaining missing information from Amazon and IMDB as previously done.

The drive, "ST31500341AS (sdb1)-CORE", is listed under : "Admin --> Show Device Tree --> My Devices --> Core", which brings up the template #1790, as it did before.

How can this be corrected? Is this possibly a new Alpha2-latest bug surfacing, or is this to be expected when reinstalling the Core/Hybrid and re-attaching an existing data drive with media from another installation?

I was running LinuxMCE 810 Alpha2.24 prior and reinstalled the core with the latest, Alpha2.26.

Regards,
Charles
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 08:25:32 am by rocketlynx »

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm using LinuxMCE directory tree.

When I go to Files & Media|Media Files Sync the left window shows home>public>[data]>audio,avwizard-sounds,documents,games,other,pictures,pvr,samples,tts,videos

(The right hand window is blank)

If I select videos the right hand window gets populated.  In the Files on disk section my disks are listed there.

In the left window under videos my drive are listed there.

Are yours?

If the disk(s) are listed but unchecked under "files on disk" they are only on the the disk. 

To get them checked again (you just reloaded from scratch) you have to resynchronize the drive.

Then the disk will be checked and exist both on the drive and in the database.

Then when you click on the drive under videos in the left window the "Files on disk" section in the right hand window will be populated with your files.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:45:24 pm by pigdog »

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi,
I'm using LinuxMCE directory tree.
When I go to Files & Media|Media Files Sync the left window shows home>public>[data]>audio,avwizard-sounds,documents,games,other,pictures,pvr,samples,tts,videos
(The right hand window is blank)
If I select videos the right hand window gets populated.  In the Files on disk section my disks are listed there.
none... no files!
In the left window under videos my drive are listed there.
Are yours?
Not anymore... They were...
If the disk(s) are listed but unchecked under "files on disk" they are only on the the disk. 
To get them checked again (you just reloaded from scratch) you have to resynchronize the drive.
Then the disk will be checked and exist both on the drive and in the database.
Then when you click on the drive under videos in the left window the "Files on disk" section in the right hand window will be populated with your files.

No disks are listed so I can't see or check anything. 
As stated, the Orbiters still can list them and they can still be played on my Media Directors as before.
Only Admin has the problem.

pigdog

• View Profile
Hi,

I'm using a NAS so my templates are differerent, #1837 for the NAS and #1768 for the shares.

What fields are populated with what settings on a #1790 template? Please included checked buttons.

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm using a NAS so my templates are differerent, #1837 for the NAS and #1768 for the shares.

What fields are populated with what settings on a #1790 template? Please included checked buttons.
Here's the info on 4 images:
http://www.rocketlynx.net/web_images/lmcesdb1_problem.jpg
http://www.rocketlynx.net/web_images/lmcesdb1_problem2.jpg
http://www.rocketlynx.net/web_images/lmcesdb1_problem3.jpg
http://www.rocketlynx.net/web_images/lmcesdb1_problem4.jpg

Please note, the 2nd drive, ST31500341AS (sdb1)-CORE (data drive) is not listed.
I hope you can see the jpegs of the Device #30

Thanks,
Charles
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:09:04 pm by rocketlynx »

pigdog

• View Profile
Hi,

I saw that you are using "public" folder and not LMCE directory structure.

I just went through a whole big thing with public compared to LMCE directory structure.

Could you delete the disk from device tree, reboot and allow to be re-discovered and instead of making things public use the lmce directory tree.

Then move you data into the LMCE folder structure
Public>
    Data>
      audio
      blah
      videos

LMCE builds a directory tree (folders) for you and doesn't wipe the data on the HDD.

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi,
I saw that you are using "public" folder and not LinuxMCE directory structure.
I just went through a whole big thing with public compared to LinuxMCE directory structure.
Could you delete the disk from device tree, reboot and allow to be re-discovered and instead of making things public use the lmce directory tree.
Then move you data into the LinuxMCE folder structure
Public>
    Data>
      audio
      blah
      videos
LinuxMCE builds a directory tree (folders) for you and doesn't wipe the data on the HDD.
Thanks, pigdog.  I did what you said and it worked except I did not have to move anything. 
This image shows the results:
http://www.rocketlynx.net/web_images/lmcesdb1_problem_fixed.jpg
If there is something I still have to do to be proper, please let me know.
Thanks again for your help and support.
Best Regards,
Charles

pigdog

• View Profile
Hi Charles,

Looks good.

Cheers.

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi,
I saw that you are using "public" folder and not LinuxMCE directory structure.
I just went through a whole big thing with public compared to LinuxMCE directory structure.
Then move you data into the LinuxMCE folder structure
Public>
    Data>
      audio
      blah
      videos
LinuxMCE builds a directory tree (folders) for you and doesn't wipe the data on the HDD.
Thought I had it fixed but weird things are happening.  Before, the media, videos, audio and just any and all content already stored on (sdb1) was always available on the Media Directors/Orbiters, and not accessable from Admin->Files & Media | Media Files Sync.  After doing the routine you explained (deleting-letting LinuxMCE re-discover the drive and then using LinuxMCE's dircetory structure), All seemed correct.  The media on the (sdb1) was now still available on MD's and Orbiters, as well as, accessable from Admin, however, the media on (sdb1) now dissappears, that is, it dosen't show up on Orbiters to be able to play on Media Directors.  I've tried this several times. I'll go to the device tree, delete the external drive, reboot the Core, let the drive be re-discovered, pick LinuxMCE's directory structure, and then it's back,  For A While.  It's available to Orbiters, in order to play on Media Directors, and it is accessible from Admin to edit or update the artwork and such.  
But then it dissapears from the Orbiters, but now, it's still avilable on the Admin->Files & Media | Media Files Sync, the opposite of my original problem.

Reloading the Router and even rebooting the Core dosen't fix it!  Only redoing the outlined procedure gets it back for a while.  I've tried picking Public Content.  That dosen't work.

Pigdog, I hope this helps to understand these strange things I'm experiencing and you or someone can really explain what the hell I'm doing wrong.  This was not ever a problem until I had to reinstall the Core because of a runnaway log file that filled up my original smaller OS drive and crippled the original installation.

Thanks, Charles

pigdog

• View Profile
Hi,

How soon before media disappears?

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi,

How soon before media disappears?
Within a day or two.

I just did the routine again.  LinuxMCE has already, on it's own, resyncronized the media, and now it appears in both, the database and on the disk.  It's presently both, in Admin-> Media Files Sync and available to the Orbiters.  I'll try and track it very carefully to see what transpires and what I do prior to it happening, when it dissappears again.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:03:31 pm by rocketlynx »

pigdog

• View Profile
Does it all get deleted at once or piece by piece?

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Does it all get deleted at once or piece by piece?

Answer:  All at once!

Sorry I was modifying my post when you were replying.

You missed this modification:

I just did the routine again.  LinuxMCE has already, on it's own, resyncronized the media, and now it appears in both, the database and on the disk.  It's presently both, in Admin-> Media Files Sync and available to the Orbiters.  I'll try and track it very carefully to see what transpires and what I do prior to it happening, when it dissappears again.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
When it disappears again, take a look at the "online" tick box in the drive device data. It may be going offline, in which case the media will disappear (this is correct behaviour as you don't want to see media that is on a device that isn't currently available)

If so, then you need to troubleshoot why the system thinks the device is offline (just reticking the box will not fix the underlying issue!)

You should also see in the UpdateMedia log file whether UM can actually still see the files, but is marking them offline, or whether UM can't even see the files.

Things that spring to mind that could cause a problem are the autofs automouting is screwed up, the symlinks from /mnt/device to /home/public/data/etc are screwed up, or the storage device radar is having problems and thinking the device is offline... all should be fixable, but you need to determine the above first.

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
When it disappears again, take a look at the "online" tick box in the drive device data. It may be going offline, in which case the media will disappear (this is correct behaviour as you don't want to see media that is on a device that isn't currently available)

If so, then you need to troubleshoot why the system thinks the device is offline (just reticking the box will not fix the underlying issue!)

You should also see in the UpdateMedia log file whether UM can actually still see the files, but is marking them offline, or whether UM can't even see the files.

Things that spring to mind that could cause a problem are the autofs automouting is screwed up, the symlinks from /mnt/device to /home/public/data/etc are screwed up, or the storage device radar is having problems and thinking the device is offline... all should be fixable, but you need to determine the above first.
Thanks, I'll follow up.
Regards,
Charles