Author Topic: Phone Orbiter  (Read 5128 times)

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
Phone Orbiter
« on: August 03, 2009, 07:42:35 pm »
Alright, I'm doing work on the telecom section of LMCE in another thread and came up with the idea to have a phone orbiter using an IVR.  I'd like to discuss this a bit as I don't see it as something that people would want to use to control everything in their house, but more of a thing where you are in a remote location and in a pinch.  I think we'd need to create a module for asterisk to do this properly.  The module will need to be able to send messages to LMCE and generate an IVR by getting scenarios from the database.  Obviously you would want to have the IVR masked in a seperate extension where you would need to use your pin code to access the orbiter so that would cover the process of choosing a user.  So the structure could go something like

Room
-Lighting
-Media
-Telecom
-Security
--List scenarios for the selected category and execute the selected scenario

Can I get some feedback on this idea and development advice?  I need to solve some other issues regarding the upgrade of FreePBX before I'm ready to dig into this too deeply, but I'd like some advice on moving forward.  I think it can be done entirely with an asterisk module without the need to modify any LMCE code to support the feature.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Phone Orbiter
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:37:35 pm »
This has been discussed at least a little before in irc, and would certainly be a useful function, particulary for interacting with security and lighting at least. And I think you are right about communicating with lmce. most everything should be able to be done with dce commands, and anything else by interacting with the database directly. the hardest part will probably be figuring out exactly what dce commands to send.

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 11:07:06 pm »
The iOrbiter might provide some insight into what needs to be done to get the data needed and send the proper commands.
http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/browser/trunk/web/iOrbiter

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 04:08:48 am »
It would be nice to use the existing menu structure from the mobile orbiter.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 04:49:20 pm »
just extend the existing asterisk C++ device.

why do you guys insist on doing this stuff like duct tape?

-Thom

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 04:53:29 pm »
just extend the existing asterisk C++ device.

where would one find this C++ device?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 04:55:31 pm »

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 04:58:01 pm »

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 03:54:07 pm »
Thom:  I've spent some time looking through the asterisk device you pointed me to, but I'm having trouble figuring out how this is all tied together with the dialplans.  I suggested an asterisk module as I don't understand the architecture for how LMCE and Asterisk communicate directly with eachother.