Author Topic: Grocery List  (Read 12564 times)

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Grocery List
« on: August 03, 2009, 06:00:00 pm »
This may be too pie-in-the-sky, but has anyone thought about putting a barcode reader on a MD in the kitchen and scanning stuff as you throw them away?  You could then make a grocery list that will replace the used items.  Just a thought.
Thanks,
Randy

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Grocery List
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 06:17:25 pm »
How would this integrate with LinuxMCE? I would see maybe some sort of RFID or Barcode reader in a fridge or freezer that has some sort of weight-calculator, which would then let you know when something is running low. But even for that application, I'm still not sure how LinuxMCE specifically would help. With your example, a bar-code reader would work for Windows and Linux, but dive deeper into your idea and explain how this would integrate with LinuxMCE... I'm sure you can find an integration point.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 06:19:09 pm by dlewis »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 11:15:44 pm »
Yes, it has been discussed at length, previously. Both an inventory control system, and integrating a recipe system as well (recipe database, with features to be able to suggest potential recipees based on what inventory you have, or produce a shopping list based on the net difference between a specific recipe and your current inventory), including the bar code scanning part. Lots of people seemed to like the idea but it never got legs. Do some searches in the forums.... it was at least a year ago.

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 06:01:44 pm »
Thanks Colin,
I did not see it anywhere and actually thought I had an original idea.  I am a bit of a newbie but I am learning.  I hope that once I get my system up and running in 8.10 I will get started on this unless someone else picks it up.
Randy

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 06:03:14 pm »
... I will get started on this unless someone else picks it up.
Randy

Please work on this idea as I do not believe anyone else will now or in the future...

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 06:37:58 pm »
This may give you some ideas-  http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2936.0

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 05:04:34 pm »
Bit of an update:  I have acquired a USB scale and a bar code reader to play with.  Honestly, I will be struggling here since I have no coding experience.  It will take some time to learn how to implement this with LMCE. 
Thanks,
Randy

ndroo_au

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 05:01:13 am »
i like this idea, this is the exact kind of feature i'd like to add too.

i'm not so interested in scales, more just letting it know unit quanities

i.e.
Adding items
1 put it in "unpack groceries" mode
2 as you pull each item out list how many you're removing

Removing items
Ensure the system is in "normal" mode
1 every time an item is removed either scan it using the bar-code scanner or search and list X# of that item as removed

Placing left overs in the fridge
1 Put the system in "left overs" mode
2 List the item and its expected best before date (this will let you track expired items in the fridge and possibly even at a later date make it easier to suggest items to eat as they expire soon)

Lots of things that could be done here ...

I'm an ex-developer now project manager...not much free time but i'd like to give something like this some room to move. Have you done any work so far?

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 06:24:53 pm »
Just now getting the hardware together to test.  I have a scale, just because the wife said that would be cool.  I have acquired the USB bar code reader and was doing some testing just on the basic linux system to see how the drivers work.  Then most of the guys at work left me working most of the shifts so have not revisited the setup for over a month now.  I have just been trying to keep up with 8.10 beta.  You have some great ideas and I will keep them in mind.  You have much more experience with programming than I but I thought I should jump in and learn.
Thanks,
Randy

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 05:15:03 pm »
Just now getting the hardware together to test.  I have a scale, just because the wife said that would be cool.  I have acquired the USB bar code reader and was doing some testing just on the basic linux system to see how the drivers work.  Then most of the guys at work left me working most of the shifts so have not revisited the setup for over a month now.  I have just been trying to keep up with 8.10 beta.  You have some great ideas and I will keep them in mind.  You have much more experience with programming than I but I thought I should jump in and learn.
Thanks,
Randy

Any progress on this front?
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 12:25:21 am »
Do you really need a barcode reader? Couldn't a webcam be enough?
I want to hang the device in the link below in the kitchen and has an integrated webcam.
http://www.shuttle.eu/fileadmin/resources/download/docs/spec/barebones/X50V2_Barebone_e.pdf

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 01:23:13 pm »
As you may have guessed things have kind of stalled out at the moment.  I am hoping to get back at it this summer once the kids get out of school.  They have been needing a lot of help lately.  Yes I am sure there is a way to use a webcam instead of a barcode reader.  I will investigate.  Thanks for your patience.
Randy

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 05:34:25 pm »

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 04:27:31 am »
You might want to tie into the whole "Landing Page Thread".  There's some discussion about using some CMS software to manage some additional "household" type content.  There's a Recipe module for Drupal here: http://drupal.org/project/recipe and there's some discussion on that site as to how to implement a shopping list.  That might give you a starting point...

Hope that helps!

/Mike

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 12:13:51 pm »