Author Topic: beta update the MDs?  (Read 9419 times)

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: beta update the MDs?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 06:14:18 pm »
Zaerc,
Thank you.  I should have remembered that.  And #passwd from chroot is exactly what I did earlier.

If it's working correctly is there supposed to be a way to get root on an MD without the crude workabound.
joseph

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 06:18:55 pm »
Normally, if the MD has set itself up properly, that is not needed.  See also: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Logging_In#Media_Director
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 07:01:23 pm »

It would be better to generate new package lists on the spot, again when logged into the MD as root:
Code: [Select]
cd /usr/pluto/deb-cache
dpkg-scanpackages -m . /dev/null | tee ./Packages | gzip -9c >./Packages.gz
apt-get update

Thanks Zaerc- the first part about the key helped me as well.  This second part I can't get to work.  dpkg-scanpackages exists on the core, but does not exist on my other MDs.  Any ideas?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 07:46:21 pm »
Thanks Zaerc- the first part about the key helped me as well.  This second part I can't get to work.  dpkg-scanpackages exists on the core, but does not exist on my other MDs.  Any ideas?
In that case, you could install the "dpkg-dev" package on the MD, or just run it on the core, provided that you "cd" into the right directory, like this:
Code: [Select]
cd /usr/pluto/diskless/##/usr/pluto/deb-cache
dpkg-scanpackages -m . /dev/null | tee ./Packages | gzip -9c >./Packages.gz

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 08:12:40 pm »
Zaerc, Thanks for the link saying that default root passwd is not set.  It helps to know which symptoms are anomolies.  I had to chroot and set root password and then I could proceed. 

And thanks for your solution to the dpkg-scanpackages issue.  I ran it from the core as you suggested.

huh,
I also had success with the apt-key add, and dpkg-scanpackages command is not found on the MD.
But I had a problem with /usr/pluto/deb-cache reporting as read only (though mount shows it as rw) and it's not an issue since we can run it from core.

On the MD, apt-gt update did run without error with the apt-key add and the Packages.gz created on the core

But apt-get dist-upgrade had the same error as earlier with the twofish conflict.

DETAILS
Authentication warning overridden.
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 111857 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace linux-image-diskless 2.6.27-11-generic-lmce1 (using .../linux-image-diskless_2.6.27-14-generic-lmce1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement linux-image-diskless ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-diskless_2.6.27-14-generic-lmce1_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/lib/modules/2.6.27-14-generic/kernel/arch/x86/crypto/twofish-i586.ko', which is also in package linux-image-2.6.27-14-generic
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-diskless_2.6.27-14-generic-lmce1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
root@moon37:~#

Anyone have any thoughts as to why twofish is conflicted?
much thanks,
joseph