Author Topic: HDMI audio problem - everything _looks_ OK, but no sound  (Read 6544 times)

bitmonkey

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
HDMI audio problem - everything _looks_ OK, but no sound
« on: August 02, 2009, 05:10:43 pm »
I am having trouble with HDMI audio - I initially ran the AVWizard, had no audio despite selecting HDMI, pretty much expected this since I'd read about needing to upgrade nvidia drivers and alsa. I have upgraded nvidia drivers to 185.18.29 and alsa to 1.0.20, then I re-tried the AVWizard, still no sound. Went to a command line and did some testing with aplay can't get any sound, although to me everything looks OK using the tests/troubleshooting steps I've found here and on other forums regarding getting this working.

My motherboard has onboard NVidia, with HDMI out and can do audio over HDMI (audio over hdmi works fine with the same setup under WinXP, so the hardware is definitely working).

I am trying aplay -Dplughw:0,3 /usr/share/sounds/foo.bar which returns "Playing raw data foo.bar : unsigned 8 bit, rate 8000 Hz, Mono
It looks like it should be playing but nothing is heard from the speakers on the TV.

alsamixer shows various channels - master, pcm, front and center are all unmuted and set to high settings, IEC958, IEC958 D and IEC958 1 are present, they are not muted, their volumes are set to 00 and are not adjustable - I presume this is normal since they are digital outputs?

aplay -l shows:
Card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Subdevices 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Surely that's the correct device, and when I aplay to hw:0,3 it should just feed the digital audio straight to that output, but doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 05:15:08 pm by bitmonkey »

Bodi79

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: HDMI audio problem - everything _looks_ OK, but no sound
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 05:57:52 pm »
Hey Bitmonkey  !

Which Mainboard do you use?

If u use an M3N Series from Asus or a Board based on the ALC1200 Audio Chipset... you need to deactivate the external codec (in Bios).

After that i had HDMI Sound (if youre using.. as you wrote Nvidia 185 and Alsa 1.0.20)..

And check alsamixer in Console, it should only show one IEC958 Option after you deactived the external codec.

Cheers
Bodi79
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 06:09:53 pm by Bodi79 »

bitmonkey

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 06:18:10 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-M85M-US2H, I can't find any option in the BIOS regarding codecs, only the option to turn on or off the onboard HDMI.

Paul

Bodi79

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 06:37:32 pm »

Hey Bitmonkey !

I´ll do some more research on your Mainboard, maybe i´ll find something.

Did you check that the Alsa Upgrade sticked.. and the Nvidia Version is really 185.. cause i didn´t get any Audio before that at all..

Just curious..

Something else.. is it an MD or Core?

Bodi79

Bodi79

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 07:06:38 pm »

Hey Bitmonkey !

Maybe you can help me out...

I got the same problems on my md´s now as you wrote in another thread..

Only Floorplan is shown...

could you tell my how you got it working again..

Cheers
Bodi79

bitmonkey

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 12:30:07 am »

Hey Bitmonkey !

I´ll do some more research on your Mainboard, maybe i´ll find something.

Did you check that the Alsa Upgrade sticked.. and the Nvidia Version is really 185.. cause i didn´t get any Audio before that at all..

Just curious..

Something else.. is it an MD or Core?

Bodi79

Hi, Thanks for getting back.

It's an MD, it's netbooting from the core.

To get the alsa upgrade to stick I had to install locate, find all the instances of nvidia.ko and delete them. Unless I did that cat /proc/drivers/nvidia/version would show 180.11 even after a seemingly successful upgrade.

Curiously enough the HDMI audio would show up in aplay -l even though it seemed as though the newer drivers had not installed - at first I didn't even notice that 180.11 was being reported as the version. Unfortunately I can't remember if the HDMI audio device showed up before I ever tried an upgrade, so perhaps this is expected with 180.11 and it just doesn't work properly, or otoh perhaps some odd combination of new and old drivers was installed, but I can definitely report that at some point I had a HDMI audio device showing in aplay -l and IEC958 mixers showing in alsamixer whilst cat /proc/drivers/nvidia/version was still showing the original 180.11 version. Deleting all the old modules until modprobe nvidia failed sorted it out though, and after that I installed using the nvidia .run file and now cat /proc/drivers/nvidia/version reports the expected new 185.foo.bar version number.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:50:46 am by bitmonkey »

bitmonkey

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 12:32:47 am »

Hey Bitmonkey !

Maybe you can help me out...

I got the same problems on my md´s now as you wrote in another thread..

Only Floorplan is shown...

could you tell my how you got it working again..

Cheers
Bodi79

Sorry to have to tell you this, but I worked at it for a while and eventually ended up reinstalling my core. After that it worked fine, I can't say what caused it, but if it's happening on multiple MDs for you after working before I guess it might be worth trying to debug further, I capitulated and decided to reinstall the lot since it wasn't a huge problem for me to do that as nothing was working yet anyway - hope you find an easier fix.

Paul

Ray_N

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Your Plan B!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 05:05:49 pm »
After that it worked fine, I can't say what caused it

Paul: Just to confirm...Are you saying that you got audio over HDMI working?

bitmonkey

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 08:19:27 pm »
After that it worked fine, I can't say what caused it

Paul: Just to confirm...Are you saying that you got audio over HDMI working?

Hi Ray,

No, I have not got HDMI audio working - sorry for the confusion, we were referring to a problem I was having in another thread.

Any ideas?

Ray_N

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Your Plan B!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 03:50:34 am »

Any ideas?

Bummer! I was hopeful there you had...I had tried several things myself but to no avail...(I'm on the ASUS M3N78-EM)

Ideas? Sure I have a rock solid one I'm currently implementing... to wait for 0810  ;)

R

bitmonkey

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 05:27:01 pm »

Any ideas?

Bummer! I was hopeful there you had...I had tried several things myself but to no avail...(I'm on the ASUS M3N78-EM)

Ideas? Sure I have a rock solid one I'm currently implementing... to wait for 0810  ;)

R

LOL, looks like I'm doing the same at the moment - is the issue you are having the same - ie. you can see the device in aplay -l and so on but still no sound?

Ray_N

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Your Plan B!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 12:25:01 am »
Nope...sorry to tell ya'. I don't even see the device in aplay...figured after 0810 comes out, I'll hit this again and then I'll wikipost on the M3N78-EM

Good luck man...