Author Topic: DCE interface to EIB via eibd in java  (Read 4117 times)

piotr

• First post!
    • View Profile
DCE interface to EIB via eibd in java
« on: July 31, 2009, 01:38:45 pm »
Hi,

I've been working with LMCE for some time trying to have a good interface to my EIB system. I struggled with the standard EIB interface and decided to do something different.

I have developed a working interface in java for EIB (lights, dimmers, drapes, thermostats) using eibd interface. I wonder if this be of any use to the community and I am not sure if it fits well into overall LMCE architecture.

The general architecture of the system is following :

In LMCE there is a device EIBJavaInterface which implements DCE for all EIB devices which should be children of it.
Corehybrid
   -> EIBJavaInterface
       -> Room1
            -> EIBJavaLight1
            -> EIBJavaDrape1
            -> EIBJavaThermostat1
       -> Room2
            -> EIBJavaLight2
            -> EIBJavaDrape2
            -> EIBJavaThermosta2

The devices implement DCE commands on/off set temp etc.

which are handled by

- asynchronous DCE iterface to dcerouter (reading DCE commands and handling them respectivly)

- asynchronous monitor of EIB bus to listen to EIB packets -to update state in LMCE devices based on information from the bus (i.e. user turns light on using a switch, or temperature changes)

All configuration information is stored in pluto database as DeviceData and is read directly from pluto_main and the device is started up by LMCE mechanism. It is a working version let's say alpha stage.

I have a few questions :

- my new device templates disappear after backup/restore so they don't get backed up. Is there any smart way to go around it. I used php script I found on the forums but I never know if anything else should be backed up as well. (I learnt this the hard way with the custom command groups missing which caused dcerouter to do segmentation fault)

- configuration data is read directly through connection to pluto_main database on dcerouter. Should I do it as request to dcerouter via DCE or it's fine like that

- is java as a platform a show stopper for LMCE

- I have troubles with updating device state infromation back to dcerouter for dimmers. I would appreciate a link to a source which does this kind of job for dimmers so that it is correctly showed on floor plans

- I think about implementing support for advanced Room automation (i.e. managing drapes & lights togethear depending on motion detection time of day etc.) it's a bit too complex to handle via scenarios is there other mechanism in LMCE to manage this kind of relationships or it's best to embed it into my system or extend Lighting or Climate plug-ins

Many more in the pipe :) but let's start with this.

If you thing it could be valueable please let me know what should I do so it fits LMCE. It's my first open source active participation so please excuse any "faux pas"

Last but not least you did a great job in LMCE let's keep it going.

Best regards,

Piotr

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: DCE interface to EIB via eibd in java
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:30:38 pm »
Your best bet is to talk with the other devs and get your modifications and templates into the main distribution. I don't think anyone really cares what language the mods are in as long as it can be turned into an installation package.
Hop onto irc sometime and talk with the folks in #linuxmce-devel

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 04:32:32 pm »
we are working on a new EIB/KNX DCE device to overcome the limitations of the old one. See the KNX/eibd thread in the developers forum.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

massabuntu

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 08:19:41 pm »
Glad to hear we have another EIB/KNX user! See u in the other post.

chriss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 09:35:43 pm »
I'm currently also putting some KNX parts together and would like to integrate them with LinuxMCE soon. Planning to have my new house completely on KNX...

br,
/chriss

massabuntu

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 12:14:11 pm »
If you thing it could be valueable please let me know what should I do so it fits LinuxMCE. It's my first open source active participation so please excuse any "faux pas"

You can start pointing us to the code to see how you implemented this, so we compare your EIB-java with the existing EIB-eibd  interface (written in c++) and reach the best result.

Best Regard, and thank for your helping.

Massabuntu.