Author Topic: Reboot Media Director (diskless) - Found problem, but how to fix??  (Read 2817 times)

tamix

• View Profile
I have a diskless media director that boots up only right after a core reboot, and once only.    If I try restarting this MD it stops dead after saying which nic it's using (just prior to the spinning slashes :-) )

Anyone any idea how to sort this?   I can't leave the MD on, but can also not restart the core every day.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 07:01:05 am by tamix »

tamix

• View Profile
Re: Found the problem - but how to fix it??
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 06:26:27 am »
Further to the above - I figured that there must be some serious issue in my setting up of the MDs.  Every time a new one is added or rebuilt two things happen - first the symlinks go awry and I have to repair it:
in /usr/pluto/diskless/99/ both the initrd.img and vmlinuz symlinks get stuffed for some reason, and fixing it gets everything humming along again.

and secondly /etc/exports get changed and I have to modify it -

/usr/pluto/diskless/99  192.168.80/255.255.255.0 eth0(rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)
To
/usr/pluto/diskless/99  192.168.80.3/255.255.255.0 eth1(rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)

If anyone can offer some intelligence here I'll be very happy!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 07:00:40 am by tamix »

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Reboot Media Director (diskless) - Found problem, but how to fix??
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 03:13:51 pm »
Hi,

Are you running 710 or the 810 alpha (2.xx?)

Thanks.

tamix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 08:01:27 am »
The latest 810, as of about 5 days ago

tamix

• View Profile
Reinstalled - now for the MDs
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 09:06:20 am »
I "solved" the "reboot" problem by reinstalling - somehow the above problems disappeared.... Must have been some finger troubles my side.

The new brick wall is The Media Director.    I added a MD device, entered the MAC address and voila!   It found the files and started the (rather long) boot process.   The last lines that came up were:
* Starting anac(h)ronistic blah
* Starting periodic command scheduler
[ 704.581176] hci_cmd_task: hcio command tx timeout

And there we get stuck - seemingly forever

HELP!    ???

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 02:10:59 pm »
Hi,

You should not have to manually add a MD,

entered the MAC address and voila!

the device is self-discovered.  You plug it in to your Core internal network and let it find itself.

I would suggest using webadmin to delete the MD, shutdown the MD, reboot the Core - when it's finished power up the MD.

If there is problems then it will probably be easier to figure out because we've followed the 'typical' install.

Cheers.