Author Topic: Cant view any media on my hybrid  (Read 2983 times)

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
Cant view any media on my hybrid
« on: July 29, 2009, 06:05:45 pm »
I have no idea what has gone on, but I now cannot view any dvd images, avi, mpg or play mp3s on my hybrid machine.  I get dropped to the media playing window with play/pause / mute displayed but the screen saver remains on. 

If i place a dvd in the drive then the disc is inserted message is displayed but then after a while i get dropped back to the screensaver and no media is playing.

Am i alone ? What the hell can i do to get this working again?

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Cant view any media on my hybrid
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 09:46:40 pm »
Hi,

Did you just upgrade to 810?

Were you 810?  It stopped working?

What's the story?

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 10:23:45 pm »
If you installed 810 and just found out it's not working...

To get the Core/Hybrid to play decrypted and encrypted DVD's.

Install extra packages.

/usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh (this installs libdvdcss2)  [may need to install libdvdread3]
      apt-get install w32codecs
      apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras

At this point mine still did not work.

As root I did a lspci -vvnn command and looked for my IDE Interface.

I saw...

Kernel driver in use: pata_sis
      Kernel modules: pata_sis

I went into /boot/grub/menu.lst and at the end of the kernel line -after splash- I added all_generic_ide

Reboot!

Future note: all_generic_ide boot option no longer working with kernel 2.6.28-4.9 (9.04). It seems that ata_generic.ko is missing!
      Temporary workaround: install linux-image-386, there is ata_generic.ko compiled with it, so it will work.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:27:41 pm by pigdog »

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:53:32 pm »
I had been using this 0810 install for about 3 weeks with no issues.  Sadly now it is dead.  I had the dvd install added but if you read the description it is all media including mp3s cds etc. 

I am thinking of going away from mce for a bit and try mythbuntu.  I realise the potential of linux mce, but i just dont have the time to work at every last part of my install. 

I will check back on mce in a month or so, i think i am too close to my install and might be missing the obvious through frustration!

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:09:00 am »
You say the screen saver remains on even whilst in the "media playing" window, sounds like you are using UI2 then. If so, normally the only time you see that screen in UI2 is if you are using that onscreen orbiter to control another MD's media playback. Are you sure that another entertainment area is not selected in the bottom right of the orbiter screen?

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 02:20:37 am »
Hi Col,

I think he means the dvdcss message that pops up.  (But, then doesn't again until after a reboot.)

Then you're back to screen art.  Have to hit right? mouse (can't remember) to pull up menu.

Bendare Dundat.  It's why I suggested the lspci -vvnn command.

I didn't have that problem until during one of the alphas.  I've been trying to keep notes - shame on me!

Just too distracted trying to figure out other things.  However, he does say everything, MP3's, etc. but not if it's after an dist-upgrade!

I haven't even looked at 250gb of MP3 migration yet. Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:08:06 am by pigdog »