Author Topic: Samba share content not being detected  (Read 4737 times)

bitmonkey

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Samba share content not being detected
« on: July 28, 2009, 04:01:22 am »

Following on from my previous post about storage, I took the advice of posters here and went for a plain samba share. I created my share but linuxmce did not auto detect it, so I followed the advice at http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Howto:_Using_Network_Shares and manually added the file server as a child device of the core, I then did sudo /usr/pluto/bin/Configure_1837.sh -d <device number> to get the server scanned and as expected the orbiter popped up messages asking me what I wanted to use the share for, I selected to use it and use the linuxmce directory structure, I then entered the username and password to use.

I waited a while but no directory structure was created, so I manually created a pictures directory and put some pictures in there, but nothing has been detected by linuxmce - i've reloaded the router and rebooted the core.

I've tested connecting by mounting the volume from the core and it works fine, I've checked that I typed the username and password correctly by deleting the child device and recreating it again so I got asked again for the password, so I am certain it is correct.

What could be happening here, and how do I debug it?

thanks

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Samba share content not being detected
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 04:25:40 am »
Hi,

First thing I'd do is get rid of username/passwords.  That would eliminate one problem area during testing.

Can always be added later.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 06:49:20 am »
actually things dont work very well (or at all) if theres no password on the share.
you should not be needing to add it manually, that indicates that something else is wrong. Is this a two nic setup, and is the nas device on the internal net?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 09:07:23 am »
Again,

Be sure your network is set up exactly as needed. The core needs to be your DHCP and gateway/firewall.

We need this, to be able to detect network devices that appear on the network, and it is also used as a secondary sanity check for network shares. It is REQUIRED. if you did not do this, this is why your network shares are not showing up.

Please follow our instructions.

-Thom

bitmonkey

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 12:54:59 pm »

To clarify, this is a completely standard setup - two nics, mce being firewall, dhcp, gateway etc.
I have changed _nothing_ about the network setup.

hmm.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 01:06:56 pm »
How about posting your smb.conf from the share?

Plus any changes made to the Core smb.conf.

bitmonkey

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 01:33:12 pm »

Thanks for the replies - I cracked it, it's just that the directory structure I had manually had to set up was wrong (no data folder, just pictures/videos etc under username) - odd that mce didn't create it, but it works now so thanks.

Paul

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 12:31:42 am »
Not really that odd... as it didn't auto detect the share, and you added it manually, the folder creation wouldn't have happened as that is part of the auto detection. If you manually create a share, then you need to set up the folder structure manually as well.

Didn't read your previous post on storage so I'm not clear on what this share is on.... with a Windows machine (appart from firewalls and other simple stuff) the autodetection should be pretty much faultless. As pigdog has discovered, NAS's can be a different story as you are reliant on how they implemented the share system/options used etc. You might be well to check into the thread he and I were discussing this and looking at the storageradar samba script. I point out a few sections (3 tests) where it actually looks for available shares, identifies them and starts the addition process. If you manually execute these commands, you should be able to identify why LMCE didn't see the share. Once you have done that it will probably point you at an option/config on the NAS device that needs to be modified so that LMCE can see it ... then autodetection should work in future for that device and you won't have these problems again.

If you do do that, please come back and post what you find, as that may lead to us finding a way of making the detection script more bulletproof.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 02:10:24 am »
Hi,

Things work fine on the shares without passwords.

It's when you try to make them read only where updatemedia chokes.

(Also, in my case because of distribution software version/interaction/bugs/make&model/whatever - issues.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:21:54 am by pigdog »