Author Topic: SOLVED :cant upgrade nvidia drivers  (Read 2640 times)

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
SOLVED :cant upgrade nvidia drivers
« on: July 26, 2009, 04:52:35 pm »
I am having problems upgrading my nvidia display drivers.  I have followed the wiki, as well as guides over on the ubuntu community but each time i get api mismatch errors on start up.  The same is true if i use 180.60 or 185.14 versions of the nvidia drivers.

I have disabled the "nv nvidia_new" module in the /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common file with no change.  

Please can someone help, this shouldnt be difficult its only a driver!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:28:49 am by geekyhawkes »

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: cant upgrade nvidia drivers
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 05:35:37 pm »
I am reinstalling Kubuntu again now (second time today, joy!), and was wondering is there anything wrong with the following as a driver upgrade process;

Not enabling any of the resticted drivers under KDE.

Hitting ESC from GRUB and booting to a root prompt.  

Pressing Ctrl ALT F3

Running the nvidia driver install.

Sudo reboot.

I was just wondering if this process might give me more luck.  I seem to be having the API mis-match issues regardless of what i do when the 180.11 drivers were enabled within KDE.

EDIT:  This seems to have worked for me, i now have the 185.14 version of the nvidia drivers loaded.  

I would be interested to know from people what they think i was doing wrong before.  (It seems from the nvforum that Ubuntu is bloody tricky to get new nvidia drivers working on sometimes).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:29:20 am by geekyhawkes »

fido

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 06:01:10 pm »
I had similar problems recently upgrading my nvidia drivers, with the same mismatch api errors

I found this, http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-650161.html and by following the instructions there solved the problem.

hth

fido

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 06:11:25 pm »
Thanks, i will add it to the wiki.