i am a unix admin, so i have a fairly high technical knowledge base... i have been looking at your website and i have been thinking about building a system.
right now i am considering the following setup, and am wondering if it will be sufficiently robust for my fairly simple needs.
compaq proliant dl360
2 x P3 800MHz cpu (256K cache)
2GB RAM (4 x 512MB PC133)
2 x 18.2GB Ultra3 scsi drives
2x Compaq NC3163 NICs
AMD XP2100 processor,
Epox 8RDA+ motherboard
2 X 250GB IDE drives
1 X DVD
1 X DVD-+RW
Hauppauge WINTV-PVR 350
urban apartment with 2 bedrooms, 2 living rooms, kitchen, cable modem internet connection as well as 1 POTS line.
1) media server in living room, possibility to expand to more rooms via additional PCs or thin clients
2) security system - 2-3 cameras, 1 door, networked thumbprint locks if possible
3) kitchen automation with smart appliances (some guidance to good sources for these appliances would be appreciated - i have been looking at smarthome.com and am not sure what will be able to work with plutohome)
4) A/C automation (not central, radiator heat in the winter, window box A/C in the summer.
5) room lighting automation for at least living rooms and kitchen if not all rooms.
1) is this enough cpu power and drive space for my needs? can myth tv use the local drives to store media? all the large drives are on the media server
2) do i need to start these all off as pluto appliances or can i integrate a mythtv box media server later easily?
3) i only have the media server and core server hardware now (no appliances or light switches, cameras, etc.) if i build a system now, will it be easy to expand to the other functionality later or am i better off waiting?
4) does the pluto core have to be router/firewall at installation time, or can i start it off as a node, and then move it to the router position once it's set up?
thanks for your help