Author Topic: Video improved?  (Read 3923 times)

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Video improved?
« on: July 20, 2009, 10:03:13 am »
Hi

I see your website is new, is there any new changes on Linuxmce?

You ar still using kubuntu 7.10 (9.4 is out)

Is the video crack still present when playing videos?

simon_b

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Video improved?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 10:15:03 am »
Hi, there is a new version, nearly beta, that is based on 8.10 kubuntu.
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/LinuxMCE-0810_alpha2

Video quality: if you use UI2 + alpha, then the tearing is still there, without alpha blending, the video quality is OK (nvidia 8*+ recommended)...
ex Mythtv fan, the LinuxMCE newbie
----------
hoping for the best

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:16:26 am »
powerbits - asking open ended questions like the first line is not going to get you anywhere.... you wouldn't expect someone to sit down and type out every change that has been implemented since you last looked would you? Especially, when all this information is available on the wiki and forums if you were to do some searches.

To your specific questions - LMCE 0710 uses Kubuntu 0710 (as you would expect) and LMCE 0810 (once released, its in Alpha testing currently) will use Kubuntu 0810. Once this major upgrade is complete, certain significant changes will mean that the normal online upgrade system will be available again, and much of the public OSS projects being used within LMCE will be the normal code, meaning that upgrading to the next version of Kubuntu along with LMCE will be massively easier. And upgrading just the kernel (for hardware support) should be very straight forward even without any Kubuntu/LMCE upgrades.

The video tearing issue should only be an issue if you use UI2 with Alpha Blending, not UI1 or UI2 with Masking, this was always the case, and remains so in 0810 as it is fundamentally tied to the nVidia drivers, which are not open source, so there is precious little we can do about it. Reporting the issue to nVidia will be met with deafing silence... I've tried twice and I know others have as well, and I don't believe anybody has ever had a response!

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:53:42 am »
I just see the new site , then i wondered if this problem was solved.
I think the answers here would be clearer than the wiki.

But eliminating the alpha blend i did and i still have that tearing in video?

Wat i do not understand is that some have a good video without tearing with aplha blend turned off... then why is this the cause of nvidia drivers?

I any case i would like linuxmce to improve as a good alternative because i am a linux fan.

but the video tearing is a bit clouding the issue.

I don not use home automation

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 09:40:53 pm »
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7457.0

the above link goes someway to explain the UI2 + alpha blending issue.  I use UI2 (no Alpha blending) with no tearing on a NVidia 7050 chipset.

Did you say you tried it without alpha blending and still saw tearing?  Was it tearing (in like a Z shape) or stepping (frames per second reduction)? what hardware were you running?

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 12:09:46 am »
Tearing is indeed like a Z movement in the film.
it occurs more in rapid action scenes

My hardware:

E4850 dual core
2gb ddr2 ram
500GB HDD
Asrock 7 HDVI
Nvida 7600 HS 256MB SVHS

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 06:26:13 am »
I don't think anybody else is reporting tearing with Alpha blending turned off.  I would suggest installing 810 and trying it.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 05:29:00 pm »
A few people have had problems with tearing no matter what UI options they choose, even UI1. but that seems to be rare and sepcific to certain hardware.