Author Topic: Working 810 Alpha2-Latest - Core Now Corrupt  (Read 14711 times)

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Working 810 Alpha2-Latest - Core Now Corrupt
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 09:26:21 pm »
Hi,

Have you tried ...mysqlcheck --all-databases?

You need to do this from the mysql prompt.

Just hit enter when prompted for psswd.

sudo mysql -uroot returns this error "ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

It's like the MySQL server is gone.

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 09:49:49 pm »
Hi,

I was going to say try from the console dpkg-reconfigure -a but you said you'd already tried the repair package thing from grub.

I'm out of ideas.  The only thing is I can suggest is reloading.

You did say that your Core/MD was on a separate HDD (sda1).   All of the dvd movies and audio files are on (sdb2) a separate 1.5TB sata drive.

Then when MCE comes online it should recognize the other drive and want to add it.

I have two HDD's a 1TB and a 500GB (in a NAS) but the data has been around since 7.04. 

It's just data and not affected by how many times I've changed or reloaded the LMCE software on my Core HDD.

Unless I've misunderstood how you are setup.

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 10:08:01 pm »
Hi,

I was going to say try from the console dpkg-reconfigure -a but you said you'd already tried the repair package thing from grub.
I'm out of ideas.  The only thing is I can suggest is reloading.
You did say that your Core/MD was on a separate HDD (sda1).   All of the dvd movies and audio files are on (sdb2) a separate 1.5TB sata drive.
Then when MCE comes online it should recognize the other drive and want to add it.
I have two HDD's a 1TB and a 500GB (in a NAS) but the data has been around since 7.04.  
It's just data and not affected by how many times I've changed or reloaded the LinuxMCE software on my Core HDD.
Unless I've misunderstood how you are setup.

Simple Setup:

Core/Hybride  (used as Core only in Control Room Closet - not worried about fancy video, just simple monitor setup for admin)
ASUS P4P800 MB (2 GB Memory - 2 SATAs, 1 Used, 1 Open - Eth0 LAN - Sound on MB)
Geforce 6200 AGP Video Card
IDE Boot Drive 810 LinuxMCE-latest (sda1)
Seagate 1.5 TB SATA for media (sdb1)
1 free SATA for future
1 3Com PCI Card for Eth1 (internal)
1 PCI PVR-143, 4 port capture Card for Cameras

All Media on (sdb1) second drive
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 10:09:41 pm by rocketlynx »

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 10:39:15 pm »
OK,

Reload should be fine.  Watch the logs later to see if they are being appended to and not recreated.

I'd better look through mine as well.  I don't want a disk space warning.

Oh, here's something to look at...If you've been watching movies and have had them freeze, stutter etc,  connect to the drive and check the folders for 0 byte cifsXXXX files.

I found some movie folders that had tons of them.  Some with 3 and 4 thousand of these 0 byte files. 

Just interested if you find any.  Might be another issue to report.

Cheers.

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 11:09:38 pm »
Going to get a much larger hard drive to serve as (sda1) and then do a re-install.  Hope it installs as easily as it first did.  Just not looking forward to all the MD recreations, WebDT 366 orbiter, Vista Orbiters, Lignting, surveilance cameras... Oh I'm getting a migrane just thinking about it.

I hope there's a good way to back this crap up, external of the system, often so I won't go through this again.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 11:15:56 pm »
have you tried niz's suggestion of a live CD? Just put in the Kubuntu CD and boot from it. It will boot into Kubuntu directly from the CD and not even touch the disk, so you will have full KDE and access to your disks so you can work out what is going on. It certainly sounds like your system partition is just full so the various processes can't start up properly. Identify what is taking the space and delete/move it.

Using a terminal shell to do this is very useful - df will list your partitions and you will be able to see immediately which is full. You can then use df inside that partition to list every folder and its size to see where its coming from (probably your security camera logs)

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 11:41:48 pm »
df shows 100% usage with 0% available in /dev.static/dev.   Now I have to see which subs (folders) are the culprits.  Has anyone had any luck cleaning the junk out and then the system rebooting correctly?  Or, does the system just start munching on itself when the OS disk is full?

Charles

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 01:01:42 am »
Booting with Kubuntu 810 CD and using Dolphin, I have found a file "20_LaunchOrbiter.sh.log" in the "/var/log/Pluto" directory that is of a size "50,335,342,700". 

Am I understanding this correctly?  50 Gig?  Why is it so big and can I safely get rid of it?  Also, it's read-only.  Will I have any trouble deleting it using Dolphin from Live CD?

-Charles

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 10:24:22 am »
50GB is ridiculous, yes that's your problem! No, it doesn't "munch" itself, just make space and it will be fine (unless you've been screwing with things trying to get it working!)

It is perfectly safe to delete the log files, it will just create new ones. However, you need to read the log first and find out what is bloating it, sounds like you have an underlying issue.

Go to a terminal shell

less /var/log/pluto/20_LaunchOrbiter.sh.log and start paging through. Note I quick way to get to the end is hit SHIFT-F which starts "tailing" the end of the log file, then hit CTRL-C so that you can page up and read backwards through the log file.

When ready to delete it, at the shell type

sudo rm /var/log/pluto/20_LaunchOrbiter.sh.log   and then enter your linuxmce password when it prompts

You will probably find /var/log/pluto/20_LaunchOrbiter.sh.log.1/2/3 etc files as well that you can delete

stallione

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 04:43:14 pm »
I have the exact same problem. It has happened twice to me, the first time, mysql database got corrupt. This time, I caught it early and was able to reboot before it took the server down. My LaunchOrbiter.sh was filled with the following error
Code: [Select]
01      07/19/09 14:36:38.202           GenericHIDInterface::DecodeEventInFD: Short read from fd 0 <0xb303fb90>

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 06:20:57 pm »
50GB is ridiculous, yes that's your problem! No, it doesn't "munch" itself, just make space and it will be fine (unless you've been screwing with things trying to get it working!)
It is perfectly safe to delete the log files, it will just create new ones. However, you need to read the log first and find out what is bloating it, sounds like you have an underlying issue.
Go to a terminal shell
less /var/log/pluto/20_LaunchOrbiter.sh.log and start paging through. Note I quick way to get to the end is hit SHIFT-F which starts "tailing" the end of the log file, then hit CTRL-C so that you can page up and read backwards through the log file.
sudo rm /var/log/pluto/20_LaunchOrbiter.sh.log   and then enter your linuxmce password when it prompts
You will probably find /var/log/pluto/20_LaunchOrbiter.sh.log.1/2/3 etc files as well that you can delete
Nope.  Deleting it alone didn't fix the system, there are other corrupted items.  After completing my investigation and fix of my Core, I'll get back and post the problem source, symtoms, and avoidance for next time.  I want to do this because I want to be sure and post the correct information, so as not to confuse anyone on the forum.
Thanks,
Charles

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 07:53:05 pm »
rocketlynx,
Booting with Kubuntu 810 CD and using Dolphin, I have found a file "20_LaunchOrbiter.sh.log" in the "/var/log/Pluto" directory that is of a size "50,335,342,700". 

Am I understanding this correctly?  50 Gig?  Why is it so big and can I safely get rid of it?  Also, it's read-only.  Will I have any trouble deleting it using Dolphin from Live CD?

-Charles

Have had this problem myself. Had a 125GB LaunchOrbiter.log file.
There is a (known) problem that is triggered if you add/remove a hid device when Orbiter is running.
In my file I saw around 40-50 log entries per second all related to HID.

If you add/remove a hid device. Reboot your core and you´ll be fine for now.

/niz23

stallione

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 11:07:29 pm »
On IRC, Thom told me that if you unplug a usb device, LMCE doesn't handle it well and will start to fill up the LaunchOrbiter.sh.log with HIDINterface events.

Solution:- Don't unplug any USB discs/devices without removing them from the web admin first. (This also applies to USB KVMs)

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 08:34:54 pm »
Go to a terminal shell
sudo rm /var/log/pluto/20_LaunchOrbiter.sh.log   and then enter your linuxmce password when it prompts
Nope.  Deleting it alone didn't fix the system, there are other corrupted items.  After completing my investigation and fix of my Core, I'll get back and post the problem source, symtoms, and avoidance for next time.  I want to do this because I want to be sure and post the correct information, so as not to confuse anyone on the forum.
Thanks,
Charles

Well, I said that I would get back so here it is.  This thread probably could have been avoided if I knew more about what occurred.  Comments later, but please be kind.

I have had a very good LinuxMCE 810 Alpha2-Latest system running for several months complete with several Windows Orbiters, an ASUS diskless MD with DVD drive for ripping, MCE Remote and a bluetooth dongle.  I also have a CM11 for x10 on the Core's COM1, a Bluecherry PVR-143 for Outdoor Cameras, 1 IP D-Link camera connected to the my home networks LAN of which the Core's External LAN is connected to for Internet access.  The Internal LAN of the Core connects to a AirLink 101 wireless router used as a switch only, (wired and wireless), that connects the MD's ethernet and a newly added WebDT 366 WebOrbiter using the wireless portion of the Core's Internal LAN's switch, all working great.  

The Core's Firewall is presently disabled so that my home network devices such as IP Cameras, Windows LinuxMCE Orbiters can be found by LinuxMCE and so I can HTTP into the WebAdmin of my Core from any Computer on my existing home network.  I am still presently hardware fire-walled with my Linksys Router to my DSL Modem.  

All that being said, I believe that I could have "Drove a Stake" through the heart of my Core unknowingly.  In my shop, which also has Internet access from my Home LAN (of which My system's Core can see), I was helping a friend set up a new LinuxMCE Core.  I, not thinking, connected his new proposed Core's External LAN, to my network for access to updates for Kubuntu 810 and then, of course, to install LinuxMCE-Alpha2-Latest from the web.  All went well until his Core's installation was setting itself up (final parts of install) and seemed to be fighting to get the Core's Internal OnScreen Orbiter #20 created.  It never happened. It seemed to be looping a we gave up because it was 2 am and had enough.  I didn't unplug it or shut it down.  The next day, gone to a friend's for dinner, about 24hrs  later,  I discovered that my Core's OnScreen Orbiter was processing extreamly slow.  Not knowing what the hell was happening, I finally managed to get the Orbiter's screen to get to the Reset Core button, and execute that command.  

When my Core restarted, I was presented with the AV-Wizard on my Core, as if it didn't have the #20 Orbiter anymore.  Also it was running very slow and then couldn't get anywhere very fast at all.  I had to wait until the next  morning to ask my daughter if there were any messages on the MD last night because I knew they were watching a Video on it.  She said that during the movie a box popped up saying something about "running out of disk space or disk full", she wasn't sure.

If I would have been home and I was watching and saw this message this would have made me snap and look into it immediatly, but I was gone and things were taking a turn for the worse as both Cores, (I suspect),  were doing it to each other and probably no one got kissed before.  Now, an already too long story, after the help and suggestions from you guys on the forum, I found the log file, 20_LaunchOrbiter.sh.log at 50 gig and filling up my small OS drive.  I have completed New-Install on a much larger drive.

Now for all of you who have helped me in the past, it already hurts if I did this to myself, but the question remains, Did I Cause This?  I mean, did the 2 Cores on the same network stop the New install from completing at the #20 OnScreenOrbiter creation and cause my Core to corrupt it's #20 OnScreenOrbiter consequently filling up it's log?  I have been aware that you don't need or use 2 Cores, I would have disconnected my system from the network to set up my friends new Core if I would have just realized what I was setting myself up for.

Allright, let me have it...

Thanks,
Charles
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:54:41 pm by rocketlynx »

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 08:50:50 pm »
There is a problem that trigger massive growth of launchorbiter log.

Problem:
If you add/remove a usb device it´ll trigger massive logging in launchorbiter log file (40-50 entries per second).
That´ll quickly fill up any hdd.

Workaround:
After ad/remove of usb device do a reboot of your machine.

I cannot explain why AVWizard start when hdd is full. It did that for me too when I had the same issue.
For me a simple delete of the log file and a reboot solved it all. Had to rerun AVWizard though.

If your mysql db still do not start try to run mysql repair tools.
In the future you´ll want to have a backup of your db.
You can do that from within lmce-admin.

/niz23