Author Topic: Working 810 Alpha2-Latest - Core Now Corrupt  (Read 14713 times)

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Working 810 Alpha2-Latest - Core Now Corrupt
« on: July 19, 2009, 06:35:24 pm »
I Need Help!

In order for anyone to support me, I will try to give as much detail as I possibly can.

I have an 810 Alpha2-Latest Core that apparently has a Core Boot Drive (sda1) that has become corrupt while working.  The system has been up and working without any problems for about 2 months.  It is running Alpha2.24, up until now, without any glitches.

I went to my windows vista orbiter and up popped "A new Hard Drive has been found, do you want to use it?"   Seeing that it was referring to my Core's primary hard drive (sda1), I knew something was screwed up.  I then went to the core and the onscreen orbiter was displaying the same message and running painfully, painfully slow.  Not knowing the consequences of any relpy, I selected on the orbiter, Admin, restart the core and after the orbiter took it's slow running self it said restarting the Core.  After the Core shut down and restarted there was the A/V Wizard.  Oh Crap, now I knew I was in trouble.

The Core now has NO Orbiter, that can be found, and just a blank screen with an arrow cursor after Kubuntu 810 starts and LinuxMCE begins to Init.  No Media Directors, Windows Orbiters or my WebDT 366 can properly and completely boot from the core.  There are NO Internal Network problems causing this (verified).  DCERouter is running because my primary Diskless Media Director sees the Core and begins to boot all the way to Orbiter time and then ends up with the same blank screen with an arrow cursor.

Before going to the blank screen w/cursor, I managed to catch the media director finishing it's boot from the core, quickly saying, Error - Unable to connect to the MYSQL server.  Evidently the Diskless Image, on the Core, can be found or the MD would not have gotten that far.

The only clue I have as to what possibly might have happened is my family was watching a movies on the MD and told me that a Blue-Screen Message popped up and said, the disk drive was full or getting full.  I wasn't home so I do not have more precise error message info.

I need to try and trap the Core while booting and get to a console or KDE Desktop, to see what's going on with the Core's Boot Drive (sda1).

How do I let Kubuntu boot and stop LinuxMCE from starting on the Core?  Are there any control key combinations I can use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to avoid a complete re-installation as I have several camera logs on the primary drive, and the loss of about 190 DVD movies on (sdb1), a 1.5T drive, would be catastropic.

Thanks,
Charles
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 06:47:52 pm by rocketlynx »

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Working 810 Alpha2-Latest - Core Now Corrupt
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 06:50:58 pm »
Hi.

Sounds like you have no space left on dev/sda1.
Can you access the shell or ssh into your box?
If you can, check with df how much space you have left on your partitions.
If filesystem is full check under /var/log/pluto for extraordinary big files.
Files that are several GB in size.

If you cannot get into your box you can use kubuntu cd and boot the live environment and then mount your filesystems from local hdd and delete appropriate files.

/niz23

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 07:01:12 pm »
Hi.

Sounds like you have no space left on dev/sda1.
Can you access the shell or ssh into your box?
If you can, check with df how much space you have left on your partitions.
If filesystem is full check under /var/log/pluto for extraordinary big files.
Files that are several GB in size.

If you cannot get into your box you can use kubuntu cd and boot the live environment and then mount your filesystems from local hdd and delete appropriate files.

/niz23

Thanks niz23 for the quick reply.  That's what I figured, but how can I try to get to a shell on the core without it going to LMCE and a blank screen?  Any key combinations? 

On my external network, I could previously , from a browser, http://192.168.0.191, or, http://192.168.80.1  and get the linuxMCE admin or on my network list, in vista, see the DECrouter and then log in and see LMCE user folders, but all of that is not working anymore.

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 07:01:22 pm »
Hi,

Here's something about the low disk space message and large log files.

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8534.0

Might be something in there.

Good Luck.  (Have you thought about a separate drive running the OS and another drive with your media?)

P.S.  Can you do <CTRL/ALT> F1 and open a console?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 07:03:30 pm by pigdog »

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 07:04:26 pm »
Hi,

Here's something about the low disk space message and large log files.

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8534.0

Might be something in there.

Good Luck.  (Have you thought about a separate drive running the OS and another drive with your media?)

I have seperate drives.  The 810 LMCE is on sda1 (no media).  All of the dvd movies and audio files are on (sdb2) a seperate 1.5TB sata drive.  Two surveilance cameras, though, are logging to the primary.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 07:09:16 pm »
I added a Postscript to my reply...

Can you do <CTRL/ALT> F1 and open a console?

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 07:12:29 pm »
I added a Postscript to my reply...

Can you do <CTRL/ALT> F1 and open a console?

That's what I was looking for.  Thanks, I'll try that now.
Charles

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 07:19:05 pm »
If that hadn't worked for you one can always reboot and when the see the GRUB message hit ESCAPE and select kernel recovery mode.

This will provide you some choices...

- resume   resume normal boot
   - clean      Try to make free space
   - dpkg      Repair broken packages
   - fsck      File system check
   - root      Drop to root shell prompt

If you drop to root you'll get the dcerouter prompt.

Good Luck.

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 07:23:28 pm »
Thanks, I'm In!  <CTRL/ALT> F1 Worked!

Since I'm not a Linux Guru command line wizard, I can look up any commands that I need on listing and searching the drive but is there any way, at this point, to execute the KDE Desktop from the Konsole and get it up and running to look at the drives (sda1) and (sdb1) using Dolphin?  Not only checking the primary drive for logs and camera files, I'm also really concerned about the 1.4TBs of movies that have already been ripped.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 07:39:09 pm »
Hi,

You could try 'startx' or 'startx kde' maybe.

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 07:49:46 pm »
Hi,

You could try 'startx' or 'startx kde' maybe.

No Go.  Thanks pigdog, it says there's another lock on it.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 08:02:36 pm »
Hi,

Looks like you'll have to cd into directories and look around or you could tree the grub boot 'thang do a file system check, repair broken packages, etc.

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 08:28:56 pm »
Hi,

Looks like you'll have to cd into directories and look around or you could tree the grub boot 'thang do a file system check, repair broken packages, etc.

Did that, repair broken packages and all from grub.

Here's what it seems:  LinuxMCE Orbiters fail and MDs get stuck at **ERROR** Cannot connect to MySql Server (or database - Not an exact quote).  Some corruption lies in a damaged MYSql database, MYSql engine or maybe just a config file somewhere in LinuxMCE that holds the MYSql ID and password to connect to the database.

If I'm really screwed, I can re-install the 810 LinuxMCE Alpha2-Latest on a MUCH Larger hard drive, no problem.  I'm hoping when that is done, I can reconnect the (sdb1) drive, reboot the core, and from admin - media files area, I can use the re-sync, or whatever it's called, and let the system see the video and media on the 1.5TB drive (sdb1) that are not in the LinuxMCE MYSql database, and bring them in.  I then can go and clean up the Video titles, for example, and re-edit the info from Admin, as I have when I ripped them so they display correctly on the MDs.  I dont mind reinstalling LinuxMCE from scratch on a larger drive if that's what I have to do to cut my loss.  But, I'll spend hours, trying to fix (sda1), however, if it means that I have to re-rip about 200 2-hour DVDs to the second drive because a new LinuxMCE installation won't recognize the drive from a previous installation.  

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 09:06:21 pm »
Hi,

Have you tried ...mysqlcheck --all-databases?

You need to do this from the mysql prompt.

Just hit enter when prompted for psswd.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 09:12:30 pm by pigdog »

stallione

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 09:18:32 pm »
sounds like a disk usage issue.. I ran into something similar couple of days ago
Post the output of the following commands, run as root or sudo
To become a superuser on command line type sudo su -
Code: [Select]
df -h

cd /var/log
du -h