Author Topic: AV wizard ignores my selection - cant get custom modeline working  (Read 3639 times)

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
I am just running through the reinstall of my Linuxmce machine after it died in a lightening storm and am having problems getting my custom modeline working.

I had overscan in KDE so tried to get the modeline i had previously working back into my system;

ModeLine "1360x768" 85.50 1360 1424 1536 1792 768 771 778 795 -HSync -VSync

(In /usr/pluto/share/Resolutions.conf. as per the wiki).

All seemed well except when i rebooted and went through the avwizard linux mce never booted up in 1360x768 (it always went back to 640x480 or similar).  

I tried setting my own xorg.conf up and neutered the avwizard as per the wiki but whenever i started my system linux mce only took up the top left hand corner of the screen (ie it was still running at the old resolution and not loading full screen).

Also what difference does the "driver" value make in the resolutions.conf file?  It seems a bit random as to which are set as via and which nvidia

I removed the neutered line from the wizard and restarted but i still have the same problem.  The avwizard accepts 720p with no problems.  

What am i doing wrong this time? (It worked fine on my last install!).

The other option is I am happy with neutered AVwizard and running my own xorg.conf but how to i tell linux mce to be full screen / use a higher resolution without the avwizard?

Any help greatly received.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 01:30:45 pm by geekyhawkes »

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: AV wizard ignores my selection - cant get custom modeline working
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 02:52:36 pm »
Hi,

I don't know if it will help, since you are using custom modeline, but on 710 when I was trying to run my screen in 1080p it kept defaulting to 640x480 resolution.

I changed useEDID to true in the xorg.conf (in 2 places) which allowed my monitor to run in native resolution (1080p).

I guess there is no harm in trying it.

Good Luck.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 04:16:08 pm »
UseEDID is definitely the place to start...

X, during startup, runs what is known as mode validation. This is where it uses various sources to compile an exhaustive list of resolutions/refreshes/etc. Then it compares the timings/etc for each mode with a list of rules/restrictions that is compiled from the xorg.conf file, command line options, feedback from the monitor (via EDID), etc - and eliminates any resolutions from the exhaustive list that violate these rules. It then has a "mode pool" of valid resolutions it can use. It then looks at the resolution that is configured and if that is in the valid mode pool, it selects it and starts up.

If for whatever reason the resolution selected was not in the valid mode pool, it will default to 640x480. Turning on EDID can often provide X with more information to expand the valid mode pool and so may then allow it to select the resolution you have selected. Be aware though that many (most even!) consumer TVs supply complete bullshit in their EDID! So it can make things worse, but it is definitely worth a try.

Moreover, it is important to read through the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file as this will tell you where it is failing out. Its a long file, and you need to read it carefully. It may be that the resolution you are trying to select isn't even in the exhaustive list to be checked, and so will probably limit its ability to be selected. Further, once you see the mode being tested in the log file, if it is being rejected, it will also tell you why. You may be able to switch off the modevalidation test (in xorg.conf) that is causing it to be rejected... but be sure that the mode timings used for that mode are valid for your TV first, it may be rejecting it for valid reasons.

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 12:07:45 pm »
Great thanks very much.  I will give all of the below a try and report back.

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 07:52:15 pm »
EDID hasnt helped unfortunately. 

I am trying the custom modeline pasted in place of the 1366 resolution line to see if that helps.  I know my monitor will display correctly using this custom modeline as it worked fine on my last install.