Author Topic: Alpha install failing  (Read 9880 times)

jeffpk

• View Profile
Alpha install failing
« on: July 19, 2009, 04:32:47 am »
I am trying to install based on the instructions here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/LinuxMCE-0810_alpha2 and the scripts are failing to find needed packages.

The instructions say to let Kubuntu update.  I let it update to Kubuntu 9.x.  Is this wrong?

jeffpk

• View Profile
Re: Alpha install failing
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 05:23:23 am »
Alright that seems to have been the problem.  The install is workign now that I reinstaled and rejected the jaunty upgrade.

jeffpk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 05:50:32 am »
Hmm spoke too soon

Its telling me "Couldnt find package pluto orbiter"  :(

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 06:08:47 am »
Make sure that eth0 is connected to your external internet source since nobody has still updated the installer.

jeffpk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 06:09:26 am »
Apparently the alpha installer doesnt like my netowrking setup, though Im not entirely sure why.
At that point in the install script it stopped being able to see the internet, and now its hosed
in a semi-installed state.

ATM I have a router that is connected to the internet and a USB ether port that is connected
to the router.  The other port  on the box is xonected to a private net with just the MCE box
and my HomeRunHD attached to it.

I cant imagine why the router would be a problem as its serving DHCP to the MCE box on that
port and aught not to look terribly different then beign connected directly to the ISP.  
I dont want to tkae the router out of the loop until I have the MCE box up and running ebcause
my wife depends on that for her internt connection and I dont want my MCE experiments to
impact her.

jeffpk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 06:09:51 am »
Make sure that eth0 is connected to your external internet source since nobody has still updated the installer.

ah thank you.  Thats likely the problem.

jeffpk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 06:13:02 am »
That fixed that :)
Im trying a re-run of the mce-install script.  We'll see how smart it is about cleaning up.
If I dont get a valid install at the end then ill try ocne mreo from the Kubuntu install...

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 07:12:15 am »
there are no sanity checks in the installer scripts, so its likely you will have problems. expecially if you run post-install more than once.

LegoGT

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Medium Rare Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 05:39:49 pm »
I had to edit the mce_wizard_data-double_nic.sh install file and swap eth0 with eth1. If you don't do this first (before running all the scripts and getting errors) then that file will already be copied to the /tmp folder and won't be recopied. I'm pretty sure it propagates into other config files, too, (beyond /etc/network/interfaces) so it's easier to make that change first.
A brain dump of my neverending projects: http://MediumRareBrain.com

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 07:29:10 pm »
It's even easier to just switch the cables around, and then you can always swap the interfaces in the web-admin after installing if you want them the other way around again.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 04:33:13 am »
or someone could just make a new tarball of the new-installer changes that have been in svn for like a month now...

jeffpk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 06:52:16 pm »
I swapped the cables and restarted the install from scratch

that fixed those issues and, honestly, its probably better to have eth0 facing out to the net as this emchien will eventually be moving to router/firewall position and my eth0 is my gig ether port.

Right now Im trying to sweet talk it into running the AV wizard in Nvidia clone mode so I can see the setup and admin later on my monitor at the machine rather then the projector in the next room.

Im having fun with it.  Thanks for the pointers where needed.

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 02:21:21 am »
For some reason, I can't get to www.linuxmce.org at the moment.

I followed install instructions from Peer Oliver Schmidt ref  "Stories, stories, installs, installs, last updated Monday, 06 July 2009 12:50.  Its a 12 step set of instructions.

http://www.linuxmce.org/index.php/news/developer/109-stories-stories-installs-installs

I am using one of the now old, reference platforms, an Asus M2NPV-VM with 1.5GB ram, 1.3GB used, 10% of the H/D used kernel 2.6.27-14.

I'm on a 768KB download network.

It took as few hours, well several, until I had complete all 12 steps and went through the video wizard for screen setup and media etc.  I added the webdt-366 and can look at the various screens, media, security etc,

The problem is the H/D has been running continuously for over 12-hours now with occasional download activity.  Top shows OrbiterGL at around 78% and Photo+screen_sa at around 70%.

Not sure why its running the H/D hard for over 12 hours and downloading when a lot of that happened before the final boot and the GUI setup.

Any ideas ?

ADD: 09:04EST 21Jul09 - The hard drive is still running hard.It's over 21 hours since the 12 step install and video wizard completion.  H/D is now at 20%, 99.93MB downloaded in the last 16-hrs..  Is this normal ?  The hard disk is being pounded relentlessly.  I'm getting large download spikes at 08:50 and 21:00 EST.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 03:36:56 pm by marrandy »

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 03:27:07 pm »
While I can't specifically comment on troubleshooting steps to figure out what's wrong, I can say that I've installed various versions of the alpha about 8 times and on average with my 1mbps internet connection it took about 3 hours on average start to finish.

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 02:42:47 pm »

OK - Murdock PM'd me and suggested I follow this procedure:-

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/LinuxMCE-0810_alpha2

which I did with a different H/D

That installed fine with no additional H/D activity or internet downloads.

I do notice that the AV setup wizard  video and voice is late  e.g. I click next, next use system and while its rebuilding the screens, I get voice clips of the last Three selections.

I tried a video but it says the libdvd whatever library is missing and there is no software in the setup screen when libdvd was previously.

But its looking good.