Author Topic: Advice / opinion request - 07.10 and 0810 next to each other - Best approach?  (Read 2931 times)

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
Hi forum,

I would like to start setting up a new LMCE dcerouter (0810), but would also like to keep my existing 0710 box intact (for the time being).

Very likely 2 machines running dhcp server and other dcerouter services will cause problems to each other.
What approach do other users / testers apply in this?

I'd prefer not to go the multiple subnet way. Allthough this 'would' be feasable, sooner or later we'd have to go through changing over to one subnet or the other.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Erwin

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
why don't you want to use a spare hd? unplug your original hd when you install and you should be fine. When the setup is finished, you replug it. Then you can select in your bootmanager, from which drive you like to boot. Tell the respective installation how it should handle the respective other drive upon recovery and thats it. LMCE will find the media no matter where it is..should be easy as pie....you don't really need to have two cores running simultaneously...seems a bit like overkill to me..twice the hardware, twice the work, twice the trouble.
but thats just me and my two cents.....  :-)

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
Maverick0815,

Thanks for replying;
A little more explanation:
I'd like to get into some more detail as far as installation generally speaking is concerned, thinking off:
- rs232 to different amps
- rs232 control different LCD TV
- connect with KNX-EIB devices
- testing with Zigbee / Enocean

Also there is the WAF factor :-)
That's why I'd like to keep systems independent, and hence the question.

Erwin

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
2 networks.

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Oh, I understand the things involving the WAF....but that is exactly why I'd still suggest the spare hd....because the waf is dropping rapidly when the tinkering goes beyond her comprehension ;-) In my opinion it is still easier to set the thing up in one version until its working nicely enough, then switch around an build the other one up. In the end, you wouldn't be able to run two md's and two cores simultaneously on the same infrastructure...so yes, you'd have to build a second network and have all the components twice. Now talking about your amps for example...what good is it to you, if you know that one amp isn't working well with 7.10 and but both work nicely with 8.10.
I've been thinking the same thoughts as you did...in the end, I found out, that what I suggested to you was the best way. 7.10 was running well, but its time is running out. After several trials with 8.10 I made the switch for good. I still have some things to get right, but basically its very safe to assume that with 8.10 you'll get more features and more hardware support than with 7.10, which in the end means less hassle and a rising waf.
Think about it, all you have to do is switch some hd's around and you're done. When you feel like it, you can tinker on the new system, when you feel you need to test out the waf, you just do a quick reboot...sounds pretty nifty to me :-)