Author Topic: LinuxMCE and VMWare  (Read 13243 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE and VMWare
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 04:23:35 pm »
Guys! GUYS!!! ARRGGHHH!

Instead of duct taping on stuff for VMWare, how about sending in patches to the relevant areas to us, so we can support virtual machine installation out of the box? PLEASE?!

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 11:37:46 pm »
Good point Thom.

Also, Roberto - why on earth do you feel you need 64bit for more RAM?? How much RAM do you think this system needs? You definitely will not need so much RAM that you need 64bit to handle it. There are no individual processes in LMCE that will require as much as 3GB user space, or anything even close, even on very large implementations! 2GB of RAM is usually oodles for the entire machine, much less individual processes. Remember the 4GB limit is the virtual address space limit for each process, not the entire machine, so it doesn't refer to physical memory at all... you can put in 8 or 16GB of RAM in your core if you want, but LMCE will not use it because it is not needed, not because of any 32bit limitation. Even if you wanted this RAM to run VMs, each instance of a VM will run in its own process, so there still should be no real limitation.

roberto99

• Veteran
  • ...dreams of becoming a LMCExpert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 08:45:07 pm »
big - BIG shame on me... I was checking some of my old posts and found out that I never aswsered to those last questions in this thread  :-\  :-\  :-\

@dlewis
From my view I did not have to do anything really special to get it working, but I will try to setup my first wiki. But just to double check: what do you want me to submit different then this wiki entry? http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Testing_with_VMWare
Do you want more detail or just HOW I DID IT ?

@MarcoZan
I used 7.10

@tschak909
What would you like me to submit exactly? Virtually all virtual machine files?

@colinjones
I feel I need more then 4 GB of Ram cause my idea of a eaven more beautiful core/hybrid is, because it will stay on all the time anyway, to be able to install vmware on top of it and then some virtual machines on top... a copy of MS xp, a copy of freenas (for testing), an ipcop machine for testing and what not. I think this is very good because you need to have only one physical machine running all the time, safe energy, less noise, more green, less discussions with your girlfriend..."oh my god, 5 computers running in the house again at the same time! ;-)"...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 10:45:34 pm by roberto99 »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 10:57:00 pm »
roberto99

With 1-2 GB for the core (of which it will probably never use more than 1GB of physical RAM in practice), 1GB for XP, 0.5GB each for FreeNAS and IPCop, and with VMWare's dynamic "memory balloon" for sharing unused "virtual" RAM, you could certainly achieve what you outline above with 4GB RAM... but as I say, even if you choose to put in 6 or 8GB of RAM, you still don't need the CPU in 64bit mode to use this, as none of the individual tasks (processes) will need anything like the 3GB maximum address space. That's the point of memory mapping/virtual address spaces, they are per-process. So you are good to go!

roberto99

• Veteran
  • ...dreams of becoming a LMCExpert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 11:05:44 pm »
Ok, thanks Colin, I think I will stick to the 32bits