Author Topic: LMCE 810 on top of Kubuntu 810 in vmware server 2  (Read 5990 times)

roberto99

• Veteran
  • ...dreams of becoming a LMCExpert
    • View Profile
LMCE 810 on top of Kubuntu 810 in vmware server 2
« on: July 15, 2009, 02:00:20 pm »
Hi all

I am trying to set up the last release of 810 on top of Kubuntu 810 in vmware server 2 but cant get any networkconnection (to work) after installing Kubuntu itself. Has anyone succesfully tried this setup? I am not skilled in Linux. I tried adding 2 network konnections eth0 and eth1 but have no working connection.

So really my question is: what do you basically have to do to get network connections working in Kubuntu 810? I guess I am just not able to do this step correctly.

Did anyone successfullly already setup such an environment?  Is it only a vmware server problem? I tried to install the vmware tools but had some errors and it did not help.
I guess if nobody is able to help I will try to install on a actual computer so to find out if it is a vmware server problem

Any hint?

Thanks
Roberto

lemming86_au

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Josh Hagger
Re: LinuxMCE 810 on top of Kubuntu 810 in vmware server 2
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 02:12:47 pm »
I use 810 with VMWare ESX server & networking works fine.

Try installing VMWare tools so you get the correct drivers for the virtual NIC.

Regards,
Josh

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 02:45:09 pm »
It works for me in ESX and ESXi. Both v3.x and v4.0. I do not recommend to use Vmware server since there is not developed any more. Probably not said officially yet but consider how superior the free ESX4i is compared to vmware server and how much features there are in workstation now.
ESX4i work on a lot of hardware these days. If you have a intel motherboard with intel chipset (ICH 9 or 10. 7 will most likely work too)
you can create a ESX4i usb stick and boot your machine on it to get a full bare metal hypervisor.
Some AMD motherboards with nvidia chipset work too.
You biggest challenge with ESX4i will be to get physical network to run on it since it have very limited support for network cards.
It can be solved easily if you buy a intel gigabit card.
You won´t get any high performance graphics but it´s enough for test and development. Which is how I use it.

If you compare performance between server and esx4 it is a huge difference to ESX4 favor.

As already said. Install Vmware Tools. Always do. Don´t even think about not installing it unless you are 100% sure what you are doing.
If you haven´t you can choose the virtual amd pcnet network card and it will be detected upon startup by kubuntu.
You still need to configure it though.

/niz23

roberto99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 03:33:26 pm »
Esx4i is great idea, but was thinking that you have to use scsi disks and that there are some more hardware limitations...
So, before searching for the technical requirements for esx4i: do you know if it works on any modern computer with sata disks (starting from ich 7 or 9) ?

Roberto

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 04:07:10 pm »
The only real limitation to ESXi is that the host cpu must support virtualization extenstions i believe (P4 or later, almost any amd cpu newer than socket 939). vmware wants you to think that it will only work with expensive scsi raid controllers, but it will work with plain old sata.
vmware server 2 is complete junk, i gave up on it long ago. ran several production systems on vmware server 1, but 2 is just a joke.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 07:09:16 pm »
Virtualization support is needed for everything ESX4 and beyond according to Vmware HCL.
It work without virtuzalization support though. That´s the way they do themself during Vmworld labs etc (they run virtual ESXes within ESXes for the labs).
There is still a BT fall back method within ESX4 which make it possible to run on cpus without virtualization support.
The only key thing that ESX4 need is 64-bit cpu support since their kernel is 64-bit now.
As merkur2k point out and myself ESX4i work with plain sata and very good too.

On my own private ESX4 machine with 4 500GB sata disks I can sustain over 55MB/s r/w to disks without any raid.

In my opinion the only non standard demand that ESX4 have now is network card.
This will probably never change since the server world only use a small amount of different nics form different manufacturers.
You have to choose form a small list of supported nics.
I recommend a Intel desktop gigabit pci-e nic.

/niz23

roberto99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 08:14:31 pm »
Well thanks all for you postings. As it should be superior to vmware server I will have a go and try to work with it.

Thanks to all
Roberto

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 09:29:14 pm »
If you have a intel motherboard with vt-d (I/O virtualization) you can also test a new feature within esx4. Namely VMDirectPath.
With it you can assign a pci-e slot to a virtual machine.
For example you can assign a tuner card to a VM. IT might work or it might not. It´s nowhere near a supported configuration.
Inside the vm you then install the native driver for the card you have in the assigned slot.

I haven´t been able to test this feature yet since I have no hardware that support vt-d.

Again. There is no guarantee that this will work. It should in theory...

/niz23

Harry the Satman

• View Profile
Re: LMCE 810 on top of Kubuntu 810 in vmware server 2
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 02:36:39 pm »
Hi,

I am running ESX4.1. My motherboard does not support VT-D, so that solves that question for me ... ;o). But do you have any idea if ESX 4.1 finds a PCI Quad DVB-S2 card, so that LMCE on a VM can pick it up?

What about USB tuner cards? I have tested USB-over-Ethernet, and that works fine.

What are my options?

Regards,

The Satman
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 11:36:26 pm by Harry the Satman »