Author Topic: Possible new layout for UI1  (Read 6373 times)

digilifellc

• Regular Poster
  • Technology. Simple. Hidden.
    • View Profile
    • Digital Lifestyles, LLC
Possible new layout for UI1
« on: July 13, 2009, 05:09:50 am »
Gentlemen (and ladies),

I need some feedback for a new UI design that was partly inspired by tschak's UI1 PVR layouts. I added a bunch of graphics and icons from a theme that I like on kde-look called Dark Glass by mentalrey to get the finished look. The rest, I just jammed it all together using Gimp and Openoffice Draw. I think this interface will work well with what I believe the community here wants to see in their designs and installations, but I need confirmation on this.

In short, does this design fit what LinuxMCE should represent?

I have created a PDF here: www.digilifellc.com/uploaded/LinuxMCE_UI1_rev.pdf. I know the file is a bit large, but the design is icon-heavy, and I'm using unscaled graphics with their native resolutions. These graphics can be shrunk down quite a bit if it is decided to make this UI a reality. Please let me know if this design is on track and if this design should be made a reality in future releases of LinuxMCE.

Also, as an experiment, I decided to apply this design as a UI2 overlay. I think it looks cool, but I wonder what anyone else may feel about it. I have a PDF created for that application as well: www.digilifellc.com/uploaded/LinuxMCE_UI2_rev.pdf. Unfortunately, this file is twice as big as the first for the added reason that I was trying to mimic the standard flickr screensaver images to get a take of how the UI looks with differing background images and designs.

Enjoy the show, gentlemen.

-W

--Edit--
I did forget to say that this design is specifically for 10" and larger applications. Different layouts will be necessary for all other smaller devices.

-W
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:59:10 pm by digilifellc »
What stays the same for every project no matter who is the client?

The Home!

Cylon7

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Apollo Smart Homes
Re: Possible new layout for UI1
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 06:23:34 am »
Thumbs down from me.

Those designs won't work with HADesigner. You should check out TSCHAK's screencasts. You have to pay attention to stuff like data grids and button arrays. HADesigner is made to work across all the devices that can control LMCE, so you have to follow certain design guidelines.

Also it looks like Crestron or XBMC. We're not either of those things. It's not going to scale down to a small touchpad; someone would have to use their pinky to touch the buttons on most of those designs.

I'm color blind & you get one point there - those colors are so bright and preschool primary that even I can tell the different categories apart.  You should run your design through the free filtering app at http://www.vischeck.com, as 10% of all guys are color blind.
“True words aren't charming,
   Charming words aren't true.
People who know aren't learned,
   Learned people don't know."
--Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching, 81

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 06:25:29 am »
No.

Too busy.

Tone back on the layout,

also keep in mind that UI2 will be used by remotes and gyro mice, instead of touch screens.

You are also misunderstanding the widgets that we have available in designer.

Spend some time watching every single one of my screencasts.

-Thom

digilifellc

• Regular Poster
  • Technology. Simple. Hidden.
    • View Profile
    • Digital Lifestyles, LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 12:47:13 pm »
tschak: I did watch all of your sceencasts, but I'll wait for more feedback before I respond to the "busy" statement. BTW, did you look at every page and read every description carefully? I know you're busy and a bit stretched thin at the moment.

cylon7: can HADesigner use transparencies? I thought it could because it uses PNGs. We already know it uses gradients because it does now. And the color scheme already exists in the UI1 layout now. I just included it into each function's button scheme. Did you notice that there are datagrids in this design? Look at the graphic components that scroll, such as program and channel listings. Those are intended to be datagrids.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:56:24 pm by digilifellc »
What stays the same for every project no matter who is the client?

The Home!

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 01:55:08 pm »
Hey digilifellc,

Appreciate what you're trying to do but I don't think you need to go that far?

FWIW IMO I really like the simple changes Krys was looking at. Simple - just a more polished look...:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8300.0

direct image links:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Image:Ui.jpg
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Image:Ui1a.jpg

</2 cents>
Cheers,
WR.

MANDINGO

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 11:49:15 pm »
I say create the skin and let the users decide, if they like it they will use it that simple.  I am also working on another skin and dont find your skin to busy, as long as it works as intended.  Plus good work in taking the time and the effort to even put forth on the project.... ;D
For a Current List of Plug and Play Capture Cards/Devices
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Capture_Cards

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 12:06:47 am »
I don't think it's too busy, but it doesn't look to me like it scales well to the entire scope of this project so in my opinion I don't think it would work out too well.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 12:25:53 am »
digifellc, the only thing I can see, is to try and implement the skin.

You'll be able to see what works, and what doesn't.

-Thom

fastie81

• Veteran
  • SSDD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 12:33:17 am »
Just one question on UI2?
Is this not going away from making the media the focal point?
I really thing that is way to much going on, on the screen
UI1 does look good..
So
UI1 = +1
UI2 = No

Chris

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 06:35:45 am »
+1 for go ahead and implement it and we will test it out.  Personally I'm ok with adding options that get away from media as the focal point.  In fact, I'd even say the existing 710 layouts do this.  Browse videos, movies, mame games, etc. and whatever is playing is lost to the current screen.  There are times when it's more important to cover up the media with useful stuff than bend over backwards trying to keep it clean. 

I do tend to agree it's a bit busy but honestly it's hard to be sure until you actually use it.  I'm also in the minority in that while I agree we need at least one standard ui1 that maps to all devices, I think it's ok to have lots of other options that only map to specific devices.  I honestly don't know how they all play together, but if you can have the standard ui1 for a cell phone, your new "ui1" for a touch screen PC, and a couple different ui2 variations for standard MD+TV setups all running off one core in a house then I see no issue with new options.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 11:36:34 am »
Gentlemen (and ladies),

I need some feedback for a new UI design that was partly inspired by tschak's UI1 PVR layouts. I added a bunch of graphics and icons from a theme that I like on kde-look called Dark Glass by mentalrey to get the finished look. The rest, I just jammed it all together using Gimp and Openoffice Draw. I think this interface will work well with what I believe the community here wants to see in their designs and installations, but I need confirmation on this.

In short, does this design fit what LinuxMCE should represent?

I have created a PDF here: www.digilifellc.com/uploaded/LinuxMCE_UI1_rev.pdf. I know the file is a bit large, but the design is icon-heavy, and I'm using unscaled graphics with their native resolutions. These graphics can be shrunk down quite a bit if it is decided to make this UI a reality. Please let me know if this design is on track and if this design should be made a reality in future releases of LinuxMCE.

Also, as an experiment, I decided to apply this design as a UI2 overlay. I think it looks cool, but I wonder what anyone else may feel about it. I have a PDF created for that application as well: www.digilifellc.com/uploaded/LinuxMCE_UI2_rev.pdf. Unfortunately, this file is twice as big as the first for the added reason that I was trying to mimic the standard flickr screensaver images to get a take of how the UI looks with differing background images and designs.

Enjoy the show, gentlemen.

-W

--Edit--
I did forget to say that this design is specifically for 10" and larger applications. Different layouts will be necessary for all other smaller devices.

-W

Firstly I'd like to say we need more people like you trying there ideas out and learning how to implement and create new UI designs - so 100% applaud you doing that. The other comments in this thread may or may not be true in part but I would suggest that you just go ahead and try to implement your ideas... and learn for yourself what works and what doesn't as you go.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk