Author Topic: Solution: Intermittent/Incomplete Media> Video scan results alpha 2.24  (Read 8691 times)

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittent/Incomplete Media> Video scan results alpha 2.24
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 01:15:20 am »
Hi,

I checked my NAS and I had both user1 and public directories so I should have read/write access to my shares from LMCE.

I also checked my DLINK settings to make sure that both volumes on the DLINK were read/write.

I went into the device tree and Volumes 1 and 2 were checked as Readonly.  I uncheck> Save.

On a reboot if I get into the device tree quick enough Volumes 1 & 2 are unchecked but after a short time both go back to checked as Readonly.

Also if I get in quick enough a ls command in /home/public/data/videos shows volumes 1& 2 in light blue.

However, after (MediaUpdate runs? - just guessing) doing a ls command in /home/public/data/videos displays the directory for Windows Share-Volume_1 [65] in red.

I can't do an ls -al - it returns "not a file or directory whatever".

Windows Share-Volume_2 [64] will still be light blue.  ls -al shows the files.

However, UpdateMedia seems to have stalled in Volume 2.

It never completes scanning all the movies on Volume 2.  (At about a grand frm Volume 1&2 of a total  300-301 movies).

Windows Share-Volume_1 [65] has a hard disk icon beside it in Files & Media|Edit Media file.

All media seems to have been collected on that Volume and is listed in Media> Video.

If I try to do a More> Search and start to type the name of one of the unlisted movies on Volume2 it finds it, but when clicked, lists the title and <-Back.

Movies are still VOB's.  If I try to play a movie from volume 1 & 2 on the core/hybrid or MD - black screen - sits there.

Yeah! haven't got a cssdvd message though!

Windows Share-Volume_2 [64] is in Files & Media|Edit Media file has a check mark beside it.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 01:44:15 am »
First and foremost, you need to resolve the permissions issue with your NAS. The readonly flag is just telling you what access it has to the NAS, not setting the access. Most likely you need to set up a username and password on the NAS, then enter this into BOTH the server and share devices in the LMCE device tree. So you will have a "server" device that represents the NAS, and 2 child "share" devices. All 3 have a username and password section. Enter the credentials of the user you created on the NAS and ensure the NAS gives that user full access to the shares. The NAS may also have a domain/workgroup setting, if so, add it to the LMCE workgroup. Now reboot the NAS and core.

That readonly tick box should stay unticked. The significance of the colour of those symlinks tells you whether the unlying mount is mounted or not. This is the responsibility of the automouting system, which should respond to either you cd'ing into the directory/symlink or UpdateMedia running against it. Theoretically it should mount when you try to cd into it whether or not it is readonly, but at the least you need to resolve the permissions issue before moving onto any potential next issue!

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 04:06:30 am »
Connected to the D-Link and set the workgroup name to match the /etc/samba/smb.conf of LinuxMCE.

Added a User and Password against Volume_1 and 2 shares.

Went into the device tree, selected my DLINK and added a Username/Password to device data.

For Volume_1 and 2 I added a Username/Password, checked Use Automatically & Passsword Required.

Rebooted.

In a terminal I cd /home/public/data/videos...

then... cd 'Windows Share-Volume_1 [65]' was then linked to

/mnt/device/65/public/data/videos  did a "ls -al " and got a file listing.

Tested Volume_2 O.K. but went from 'Windows Share-Volume_2 [64]' directly to file listing.

Responses between commands was a little slow.

Went back to main menu Media> Video.

Tried to play a movie on the Core/Hybrid - got can't read disk, no media, CSSDVD library message.

Didn't bother with the MD.  Still missing media from Volume_2.

P.S.  I have found some cifsxxxx 0 byte files that get created in the movie directory on some - not all - of the failed to play movies.

When I was cleaning up my drive and moving things over I had some dir's with 3000+ in them.

The worst was over 4600 0 byte files.

P.P.S.  Can only sort by Title.  No Filename for vol Windows Share Vol 1 & 2.

P.P.P.S.  Tried resynchronizing media as well.  When results came back all media not picked up had the LEGEND FOR FILES - Exist only on disk icon.  All other media had Exist both on disk and in database - check icon.  (Files & Media|Media Files Sync).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 05:33:18 am by pigdog »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 05:38:47 am »
The password require tick boxes shouldn't be touched (don't know what the implications are) and should be left at the default of unticked. Same for use automatically, that defaults to ticked. In fact the only change you should make are the usernames and passwords, as I detailed above. Probably doesn't make any difference, but certainly they do not need to be changed to make this work from what I can tell.

I haven't a clue what the cifsxxxxx 0 byte files are, I have never seen anything like that before.

I'm thinking we are chasing our tails a bit because something seems to be quite wrong in your set up. Typically, this is extremely easy to set up, it detects, you tell it LMCE structure, it creates the folders, you put media it, it scans it, you play it.... simple. I'm thinking something somewhere along the path has gotten in knots or corrupted. We could continue troubleshooting (indefinitely!) but the simpler path may be just to reinstall your core from scratch. Now it sounds like your NAS is set up and configured ok, and you know to use LMCE folder structure when asked, and to add the username/password once added, it should be very straight forward to get working.

While you are at it... is there any reason why you need 2 shares on the NAS, such as some kind of partition size limit? If not, combine them into one share and head off that potential issue at the pass! I believe that with a single share, the issue of shares not remounting properly does not occur... certainly I have never seen it in my installation, so until that bug is addressed, the path of least resistance is to stick to 1 share.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 06:10:46 am »
Hi,

Have reached the same reload conclusion myself.  Have just one more little thing I want to check first.

The D-Link box has 2 drive bays.  At the moment 1 - 1TB drive and 1 - 500 GB drive.

The 1TB is full of media and the 500G is getting close.  Just a single partition on each drive - Volume 1 and 2.

Thanks for your help.  I hope it is something as easy as corruption but I had already loaded 2.24 3 to 4 times.

I'm thinking of going back an alpha or 2 and trying things from there.

Will post the results in this thread.

Thanks again.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 01:01:04 am »
What I tried this time...

Reloaded the 2.24 software from scratch.

Ran the AVWizard & Sarah.

I logged into KDE and ...

/usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh (this installs libdvdcss2)
      apt-get install w32codecs
      apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras

This is different.  When I went back to orbiter Sarah was there (again) to take me through the Media Wizard.

When all that was finished I powered down the Core/Hybrid via menu.

When system settled I powered-up the D-Link and let it be autodiscovered (workgroup in /etc/samba/smb.conf and on D-Link is LinuxMCE).

System asked me for a username/password for the Windows Share for volume 1 & 2.  

This is a first for me only because I never had it programmed into the NAS (before the fact).

I checked Media> Video but nothing was listed.

I let the system sit for 10 minutes.

The activity on the D-link led me to believe nothing was happening.

I checked Media> Video but nothing was listed.

Checking the settings in device tree ...

The D-Link was there.  No username/password as I would think because this would probably be the D-Link administration password.

Check the Share-Volumes and...

This device is controlled via the D-Link.  Makes sense.

Device Date says - uses LinuxMCE directory structure.  Has username/password programmed (Use Automatically is not checked).

Password Required and Readonly is checked.

Then (as root) got into a terminal did cd /home/public/data/videos and doing a ls got me ...

Both Volume shares, cd into each and a ls shows all movie folders.

Back to Orbiter Media> Video - nothing.

Back via KDE to webadmin and device tree.

Un-checked Password Required - reboot.  Media> Video - nothing.  Could still pull up ls -al media folders.

Device tree for the share volumes - checked online> save.  Media> Video - nothing.

Unchecked online> save.  Media> Video - nothing.

Checked - Use 5 second pings to ensure connection stays alive.  Media> Video - nothing.

Checked online> save.  Media!!!!!!!

Back to device tree - checked Password required.  Unchecked - Use 5 second pings to ensure connection stays alive.

Rebooted Core.  Shutdown NAS.

When Core alive boot NAS.  When done checked device tree defaults.  

i.e.  Has username/password programmed (Use Automatically is not checked).  Password Required and Readonly is checked.

Check - Use 5 second pings to ensure connection stays alive.  No media.

Uncheck - Use 5 second pings to ensure connection stays alive.  No media.

Check online> save.  No media.

Check - Use 5 second pings to ensure connection stays alive.  Save.  MEDIA!!!!!!!

And all media - the 'always missing' as well.

However,  there is only one problem.

To verify.

Reboot Core/Hybrid.  Shutdown NAS.  Restart.

Check device tree share Volume defaults.

- Username/Password stuff
   - use 5 second pings to ensure connection stays alive.
   - Password Required
   - Readonly.

At this point> No media.

Check Online. Save.  No media.

Go back to basics...

Reboot with device tree shares set at...

- Password Required
   - Readonly.

Let the souffle rise for approximately 5 minutes.

Check the temperature of the OrbiterGL> Media> Video.  Nothing yet?  Good!

Check - use 5 second pings to ensure connection stays alive.  Let sit for 5 minutes!

Better check to see if it's getting too brown.  What does OrbiterGL> Media> Video look like?  Nothing yet?  Good!

Let's get it ready - shall we?

Check Online for each share.  Don't forget to save!

Now let's go and check our temperature in OrbiterGL.

Look at that!  Just perfect!  Our souffle has risen and filled all media.

Can we bake our cake and eat it too?

Well, we can on the Core.  I'll have to show you how to make a movie pie on the MD tommorrow.

Oh look.  Locally baked media (decrypted and encrypted) refuses to rise on the core.

We will have to see how it bakes on the MD.

That's all we have for our show today.  Until tomorrow!

So if I leave things default then check ping and online playing NAS movies work.

What next?

P.S. If I check, Use 5 second pings, Use Automatically, Password Required (Defaults auto-assign to parents room, Readonly checked) no joy in Mudville.

If I check Online with above - no joy.

If I uncheck Use Automatically /Save then Media> Video appears.

On a reboot Online is unchecked.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 01:15:24 pm by pigdog »

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 06:14:27 pm »
With device tree shares set at...

- Use Automatically - check
   - Password Required - check
   - Readonly - check

I get no images using Filename, Title, Performer, Genre, Director displayed.

I can do a seach (using the on screen keypad only -everything gets screwed up from physical keyboard but works fine in terminal for command line)

I can type ae (for Aeon Flux)  and 3 selections appear Aeon Flux /home/public/data (with artwork), Aeon Flux (Special [with artwork], Aeon Flux (Special [no artwork].

I select Aeon Flux /home/public/data and the movie plays perfectly.

Getting even more twisted.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 07:42:20 pm »
Hi,

I upgraded my DNS-323 to version 1.07 (from 1.04).

I noticed some timers were now disabled.

I removed all username/password stuff on the DNS-323 and made all accounts read/write.

I reloaded from scratch.

I had to apt-get install libdvdread3 (dvdnav downloaded as part of package).  That was odd (I'll check install log later).

Went into device tree for DNS-323 and checked settings.  Share volumes are checked for Auto-assign to parents, Readonly, Online (no Use Automatically).

I have all my media.  After 3 hours no changes.

I powered down Core/Hybrid via menu.  Powered down DNS-323.

Powered up Core/Hybrid and when loaded powered up DNS-323.  Have all my media.  Settings constant.

Cross-reference to http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8517.0

I guess this part is fixed but not 100% sure why.  Could be the firmware upgrade on DNS-323 - not sure.

Why it all of a sudden ended up being a problem I'm not sure.  Things seemed OK in earlier beta - at least I saw my media files.

Still cannot play decrypted or encrypted DVD's on Core/Hybrid.  Can't play DVD, cssdvd library blah, blah message.

The movie starts for a couple of seconds and dies.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:31:44 pm by pigdog »

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 10:57:45 pm »
Hi,

Added a MD and could play from NAS plus decrypted and encrypted DVD's from local DVD player.

The MD's need (just chroot /usr/pluto/diskless/XX to the MD)

/usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh
      apt-get install w32codecs
      apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras

Yea!

Finally the Core/Hybrid plays from the NAS as well as decrypted and encrypted DVD's.

As root I did a lspci -vvnn command and looked for my IDE Interface.

I saw...

Kernel driver in use: pata_sis
Kernel modules: pata_sis

I went into /boot/grub/menu.lst and at the end of the kernel line -after splash- I added all_generic_ide

I don't understand why but ...

Yea! That headache is over.

And a BIG thank-you to colinjones for all your help.

I'm just sorry that I didn't think of the DNS firmware earlier and, If I hadn't had a problem on Fedora7 (a long time ago), I would never have figured out trying the boot mod (lucky I even remembered).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 11:30:46 pm by pigdog »