Author Topic: Your system is running low on disk space  (Read 3108 times)

Frank Stein

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Your system is running low on disk space
« on: July 16, 2009, 08:03:36 pm »
I get this error "your system is running low on disk space" all the time.  It gets really annoying.  I have done some searching and I am not finding much.  By the way - I am not at all low in disk space. 

One post mentioned huge log files.  I checked and it looks like I have some huge log files. 

For instance:
name                                 size
unmount-wrapper.log         13981452 
unmount-wrapper.log.1      22977634

update.media.log              32390477
update.media.log.1           46539187

Just to name a few. 

Now if this is a problem - how do I fix it?  Can I just delete the logs and will it rebuild them from 0?

Unmount-wrapper sounds interesting.  One of the other nagging problems I have is that I have a USB 1TB drive that I stored all my movies and CD's.  The system finds it and then loses it and then refinds it.  Seems like this happens several times a day.  Could that be part of it?

Any help - even pointing me in how to search better is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Your system is running low on disk space
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:14:06 pm »
that error will get shown if the system drive goes below 10 gig free space.
yes you can safely delete log files, but it might be worth your time to look in them to see why they are getting so big.

Frank Stein

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 10:56:40 pm »
Well 10 gig... Huh - I didn't have 10.

I copied the logs to an external drive if I need to look at them.  I read them and they are not really something I understand.  Well - it does look like it is mad that I don't use this other external drive with movies on it anymore. 

But I also moved a movie from the local drive and put it on the external drive and things seem to be working much smoother.  I don't have quite 10gig but I am close.

Thanks for the help.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:56:21 pm »
The system manages all disks with a very intricate automounter. This mounts and unmounts volumes, and the unmount delay is very low, so you'll see cases where the  disk is unmounted rapidly, particularly after UpdateMedia runs. This is normal, and was designed this way, so that different types of media could be easily hot swapped.

-Thom