Author Topic: SOLVED :: Flash player not working in MCE - Fine in KDE  (Read 5433 times)

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
SOLVED :: Flash player not working in MCE - Fine in KDE
« on: July 09, 2009, 02:35:41 pm »

SOLVED :: I had to reinstall my machine and the fault hasnt re-occured.  Wierd but fixed.

I have been having problems getting the flash player plugin working in mce (0810alpha) for a while and am finally getting around to looking at it.  

If i drop to KDE and launch firefox then the flash player plugin works fine.  If i launch firefox from computing within MCE then i get the "flashplayer not detected or installed" link.

I have search the forum / wiki and found this thread;

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4140.0

I followed the guide (even though im not using the 64bit version of kubuntu the symptoms are the same) using sudo -u root bash  and placed the plugin in both locations described, but the problem continues.

Is there anyother way forward for me getting flash working under mce?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 07:46:22 pm by geekyhawkes »

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Flash player not working in MCE - Fine in KDE
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 05:58:41 pm »
Anyone any ideas on this?  It is driving me crazy!

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 05:55:01 am »
if you upgraded your firefox browser on the desktop that doesn't necessarily upgrade the one that LMCE uses. You can have both version 2.xx and 3.xx installed at the same time... if you added/upgraded the flash plugin for your desktop version, this does not effect the version that LMCE uses...

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 09:31:06 am »
Ok, thanks.  When i try and install the flash plugin from with MCE i cannot get the .deb to open so i am forced to drop down to the desktop to actually execute the .deb (or manually unpack a tar.gz). 

Is there any way i can force the flash player to install for all users and versions of firefox installed? (Or change the version MCE calls from computing?).

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:29:48 am »
When you install manually you should be prompted to give the path to the location that Firefox is installed in. If you give the path to the installation that LMCE uses then it will installed for that version and so be used within LMCE.

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 11:44:42 pm »
perfect thanks.  I will have a dig around the pluto folders and see if i can find where firefox lives!

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 02:20:20 pm »
I have checked the versions on my MCE hybrid and both the KDE desktop and Linux MCE version are firefox 3.0.11.

I am really confused as to why Flash does not work in mce but is fine under kde. Can someone give me an idea what could be going on, and some details on how linuxmce calls for firefox to start?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 04:03:25 pm »
Sorry I can't help you any more... if you look in web admin in Wizard->Devices->Media Directors, then choose the Computing Application -> Edit button for the MD in question, you will get a dialogue that lists the entries in the Computing menu in Orbiter. One of which is Web Browser and you can see that the script that is run when you choose the browser from LMCE is:

/usr/pluto/bin/Mozilla.sh

Reading through that script it does a lot of setup for first use and manipulation of profiles and bookmarks, but essentially at the end of the day just runs firefox with no path. I can only assume this means that it is using the first firefox executable in the path when the user is linuxmce (can't see anywhere else an explicit path is being specified, but I stand to be corrected on that).

Doesn't seem very likely, but you could test this by going to KDE desktop, opening a terminal session (which will be the user linuxmce) then just type firefox. If this doesn't play flash properly, then you have found your difference, if it does, then there must be a different issue (which I have no idea on!)

geekyhawkes

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 05:41:21 pm »
Thanks for your help so colin.  I will give it a go and see how i get on.

sdredwingsfan

• View Profile
Re: SOLVED :: Flash player not working in MCE - Fine in KDE
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 04:23:14 pm »
can anyone confirm (devs?) if i remove flashplugin-nonfree that its not going to break my lmce (orbiters?).  I'm at a stopping point with getting flash sites to work in both kde & mce enviroment. 

Code: [Select]
linuxmce@dcerouter:~$ sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-nonfree
[sudo] password for linuxmce:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  pluto-mcr-remote pluto-libresolution pluto-hal-device-finder pluto-avwizard
  pluto-avwizard-skin-basic pluto-x-scripts
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
 flashplugin-nonfree pluto-nvidia-video-drivers pluto-orbiter
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 82.3MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

Thanks, Chris!
Hybrid/Core: Chenbro PC40523, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core, SILVERSTONE NT07, SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB SATA, PVR-150 Tuner, XFX GeForce 6200 Graphics Card, Openfiler NAS 3TB Raid5