Author Topic: zwave tricklestar include problem  (Read 12580 times)

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
zwave tricklestar include problem
« on: July 07, 2009, 09:19:11 pm »
Hi again been busy with the family and new garden lately.

Have done a duct tape solution including zwave relays (on off devices) to control the watering valves.

Now I wanted to add these devices to the zwave network and doing as should with the tricklestar in config mode press and hold, green light, release and press again, blinking.. Now to the device (holding the tstar next to it) doing the include(3 quick presses) also tried doing the 4 press procedure which does a reset.

Nothing.. the tricklestar doesn't even try to zoom in on the device.. usually this can be seen by faster blinking and then lock on.. =)

I have reloaded the router(just in case) and have tried this a few times with both devices and looking at the log(level 36,40,41) but I start to wonder if the remote is not even in the network?
 how can I check that?

Does the tricklestar needs to be connected 24/7 to the usb?
 I have not had it connected in a while before now since I only use it for inclusion. Connected it a day before though to charge it...

I have seen this before and then I solved it by adding all devices once again but surely there must be a simpler way since there starts to be a few devices now in our home..

Thankful for all inputs

-johan

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: zwave tricklestar include problem
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 10:27:27 pm »
Nothing.. the tricklestar doesn't even try to zoom in on the device.. usually this can be seen by faster blinking and then lock on.. =)
Try to reset the devices with a z-wave remote before inclusion. Were they deployed in another network?

I have reloaded the router(just in case) and have tried this a few times with both devices and looking at the log(level 36,40,41) but I start to wonder if the remote is not even in the network?
 how can I check that?
you should see it in the node list. It is written to the log (36) at startup.

Does the tricklestar needs to be connected 24/7 to the usb?
no

I have not had it connected in a while before now since I only use it for inclusion. Connected it a day before though to charge it...
make sure it is well charged before doing any operations

I have seen this before and then I solved it by adding all devices once again but surely there must be a simpler way since there starts to be a few devices now in our home..
I've seen "lockups" for this remote, too. It always went to "red" when trying to include devices. But as it does not even blink faster in your case, I'd assume the node info frame does not get sent from the plugs if they are still included in another network.
But you can always try to exclude it with the "remove node" command in 0810, then do a reset of the controller (up and then up till it lits in all three colors), then add it again with the "add node" command. I prefer "add node" instead of "download config". The usb dongle stays at node id 1 that way. Download config also is prone to errors with SIS (does not enable SIS with that remote all the time).

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:19:06 pm »
Try to reset the devices with a z-wave remote before inclusion. Were they deployed in another network?
No, these are new units. I am using same type of devices in other places so they are compatible at least.
Reset via remote?

you should see it in the node list. It is written to the log (36) at startup.

Ok, I shall look for No1 then, can't remember seeing that though..

But as it does not even blink faster in your case, I'd assume the node info frame does not get sent from the plugs if they are still included in another network.
But you can always try to exclude it with the "remove node" command in 0810, then do a reset of the controller (up and then up till it lits in all three colors), then add it again with the "add node" command. I prefer "add node" instead of "download config". The usb dongle stays at node id 1 that way. Download config also is prone to errors with SIS (does not enable SIS with that remote all the time).
Ok, all these commands. Is it correct to assume that I can send these commands from webadmin. Since I do not use 0810, from what version of your driver is this working?

The node Id info, ok. Here it gets interesting. I did this on the tricklestar beleiving I was excluding..
press until green, then quick press at the Lower button. Then Include action on the device and it locked it instantly..(!)
Then tried including again and it failed =/

Went and reloaded the router fearing that I has removed all my lights or some of them but they where still in there.. strange..
 this makes me even more certain that the tricklestar is no longer in my excisting zwave network and it has somehow lost the config while not being used(also strange)

Ok, one step ahead at least.
I made quick reload and looked in the log more closely now when I knew what to look for.
It finds Node1 and that it is a controller, so that part is ok I guess. But it also finds the new nodes and here is where it gets interesting.
36      07/07/09 23:24:54.819           Got reply to FUNC_ID_ZW_GET_NODE_PROTOCOL_INFO: <0xb78ecb90>
36      07/07/09 23:24:54.819           Invalid generic class (0), ignoring device <0xb78ecb90>
40      07/07/09 23:24:54.916           Sending job 0x80a67d0 (cb 0) - 0x1 0x4 0x0 0x41 0xf 0xb5 (###A##) <0xb78ecb90>
41      07/07/09 23:24:54.917           ACK RECEIVED <0xb78ecb90>
41      07/07/09 23:24:54.919           0x1 0x9 0x1 0x41 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x3 0x0 0x0 0xb5 (###A#######) <0xb78ecb90>
36      07/07/09 23:24:54.919           Got reply to FUNC_ID_ZW_GET_NODE_PROTOCOL_INFO: <0xb78ecb90>
36      07/07/09 23:24:54.919           Invalid generic class (0), ignoring device <0xb78ecb90>
40      07/07/09 23:24:55.016           Sending job 0x80a69f0 (cb 0) - 0x1 0x4 0x0 0x41 0x10 0xaa (###A##) <0xb78ecb90>
41      07/07/09 23:24:55.044           ACK RECEIVED <0xb78ecb90>
41      07/07/09 23:24:55.044           0x1 0x9 0x1 0x41 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x3 0x0 0x0 0xb5 (###A#######) <0xb78ecb90>
36      07/07/09 23:24:55.044           Got reply to FUNC_ID_ZW_GET_NODE_PROTOCOL_INFO: <0xb78ecb90>
36      07/07/09 23:24:55.044           Invalid generic class (0), ignoring device <0xb78ecb90>
36      07/07/09 23:24:55.045           Finished building node list: <0xb78ecb90>

Ok, they may be flty off course but two of them?
 I bought all my switches and dimmers at the same time so presumably they should be from the same batch and the others are working flawlessly, although they where included when all the others where added.

You find what's wrong by reading the above message?

-johan

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:36:18 pm by johanr »

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 12:28:39 pm »
Wondering.
Does a reset of the tricklestar "delete" all my current lights?
-johan

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 03:04:27 pm »
yes it does(I assumed so)

Now I have made a reset of the tricklestar and to make it short.. Included all the devices again. Now the watering valves are included and I now have watering working =)

I really hope I don't have to do this procedure again next time when adding the remaining switches and dimmers.
 :-\

-johan

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 03:23:45 pm »
hmm, in fact the inclusion process is the weak point with z-wave.. And there is not much we can do from the zwapi side..

nice that it works for you now.

best regards,
Hari

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 12:06:56 am »
Indeed it seem to be. Would be nice to get rid of the tricklestar I actually think that one has caused most of my issues with the zwave network..

Anyways I really appreciate your help!

I have started an Eljo connect page with the eljo pucks I've tested. It's just a start, not even good looking but what the heck, just so anyone can see that it is indeed working just fine.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Eljo_Connect

-johan

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 12:12:45 am »
yes, i also encountered issues with the tricklestar remote. I'm just testing the Popp remote switch. It can also work as inclusion remote. I wish the ZTH200 would have a more decent z-wave chip, supporting SIS. Otherwise it is really a good remote.

br, Hari

caiman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 09:21:58 pm »
I've seen "lockups" for this remote, too. It always went to "red" when trying to include devices.

I'm having this (again) right now. Before I used to reset the tricklestar, then download configuration and all my nodes were gone, had to re-include all of them one by one (and there are many).

In the procedure Hari mentions above, using "add node" instead of "download config" after resetting the remote, are the nodes deleted as well?

If that's the case, is there another way to unlock the remote without loosing all the nodes?

thanks!

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 05:19:49 pm »
yeah, make sure that the dongle is the master (node 1) not the remote. You can then remove the remote, reset it, and add it again without loosing the network information.

br Hari

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 11:45:32 am »
yes, i also encountered issues with the tricklestar remote. I'm just testing the Popp remote switch. It can also work as inclusion remote. I wish the ZTH200 would have a more decent z-wave chip, supporting SIS. Otherwise it is really a good remote.

br, Hari

We are testing the new MK-Honeywell Astral ZWave products and as part of those tests we are testing their ZWave remote (LRC14U). This unit so far has worked very well indeed and it is SIS compatible too. MK also have a single-gang wireless switch which can be used for inclusion (like the Popp) and is SIS compatible too... we have not tested SIS mode on this switch yet though.

Astral is nicely engineered but rather expensive so it may not suit everyone's budget though.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

caiman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 02:35:59 pm »
yeah, make sure that the dongle is the master (node 1) not the remote. You can then remove the remote, reset it, and add it again without loosing the network information.

br Hari

Fantastic news Hari, the dongle is the master so it should be ok and save me lots of time.
You make my day  :)

caiman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 06:59:36 pm »
Hi Hari,

You can then remove the remote, reset it, and add it again without loosing the network information.

Would you mind sharing the exact procedure for this? I'm having two problems:
  • Not sure how to remove the node. When I select the remove node message there is a list of options but I don't see where to enter the node id to delete. Just deleting the device won't work, it comes back after reload. Now I have the same remote twice on two different node ids
  • Not sure how to add the remote again after that. Once in config mode, after the 2 seconds press, the remote gets included if I give it 4 presses (become secondary remote) and not one as in the original install procedure. But when I do this the remote gets locked up again.

Any suggestion?

caiman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 01:19:13 pm »
Hi Hari,

You can then remove the remote, reset it, and add it again without loosing the network information.

Would you mind sharing the exact procedure for this?

Quick bump on this one, as I still haven't found how to remove a zwave device (removing the lmce device won't remove it from the zwave routing table). What is the right sequence to follow here?

thanks in advance!

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 02:15:19 pm »
the Z-Wave device implements Add Node and Remove Node commands.

br Hari