Author Topic: PCI tv and CI  (Read 3935 times)

dizmoduck

• View Profile
PCI tv and CI
« on: July 05, 2009, 10:49:15 am »
I'm trying to bild my own Core server out of my workstation.

Mother bord: Ausu M3A
CPU: AMD 5000+ Black edition
AGP: Nvidia 8500GT 512Mb
RAM: 6GB
Onbord NIC: AtherosĀ® PCIe Gigabit
Firewire PCI and extra ATA PCI

I'll cornect the onbord Nic to the internet but with nic shout I get? i'll have look at Server and Desktop Nic and think the Server NIC is the best solution as the Core is a server, but what the deffrent between Server and Desktop NIC?

I haw look at
Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Plus NIC
Intel PRO/1000 PT Server Adapter

TV cart:
What i'm looking for is one cart incl digital and analogue tuner + CI for pay tv is that what we have in the house
I have look at TerraTec Cinergy C PCI HD  + CI andon but how is an extrenel one and can the usb port handle the trafik.

with one shall a get if i what to streem tv to two or more tv?

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: PCI tv and CI
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 05:45:32 am »
The difference between "server" and "desktop" nic is just that, the price. get the cheaper one, as long as it has linux support (most do, google can tell you for sure).
I cant help with the tv stuff; it sounds greek to me so must not be in the US ;)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 12:38:35 am »
I cant help with the tv stuff; it sounds greek to me so must not be in the US ;)

Merkur2k, actually Dish satelite TV in the US transmits using DVB-S with CI encryption, so its not completely alien :)

dizmoduck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 01:48:07 pm »
thank for that about the NIC

A CI is for the module ware you put you cart for your Cable network in.
The CI is like a pcmcia wher you buy a module from you cabele company for you pay cart

But the many this wish TV tuner shall I buy so I can streem more then one Digital/Analog TV to more then one TV at a time and with one dos LinuxMCE support?

PS: I'm located in Denmark. You know the Capital of Sweden ;D

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 11:26:31 pm »
Yes, it does support that.

When did Denmark become the capital of Sweden?!?! :)

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 01:01:12 am »
Paraphrasing my son (when he was about 6).

"S" is the capital of Sweden
:o

Kids eh? Don't you just love 'em? Can't live with them, can't shoot them...............
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

dizmoduck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 09:16:02 am »
"In Denmark, it is said that Americans think Denmark is Sweden's capital ;-(."

"Every American knows that the capital of Sweeden is Ikea, and the largest city is Volvograd."

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 09:24:01 am »
LMAO

Sorry to go off-topic, but it reminds me of an interview I saw with Charlotte Church (if you haven't heard of her, she's a singer from Wales who started out singing classical music at a very young age, anyway, I digress).

Apparently, she sang at President Bush II's first inauguration. Afterwards, she met him and he commented on her accent and asked where she was from...

"Wales, Sir"
"Oh? And which state is that in?"

Didn't even start well, did it?  ;)
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:18:20 am »
The difference between "server" and "desktop" nic is just that, the price. get the cheaper one, as long as it has linux support (most do, google can tell you for sure).

The difference between a server grad nic and a desktop nic is that additional processing happening on the card. But the difference should only be visible in high load environments.