Author Topic: Networking Issue: No External IP  (Read 3473 times)

Alaith

• View Profile
Networking Issue: No External IP
« on: July 10, 2009, 07:02:36 am »
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to set up my Core for the first time, but my external IP seems to be missing from the Web admin. The cards are correctly assigned as eth0 for the external card and eth1 for the internal card. I've been documenting my progress on my wiki page http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Alaith#Troubleshooting. If you could take a look at the Wiki page and advise I would be very grateful.

I've done a lot of searching, but I don't think that this has been covered yet. Maybe I missed an obscure post, in which case, could someone direct me to it?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:25:17 pm by Alaith »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Networking Issue: No External IP
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 12:44:58 am »
What is on the External network side? A broadband router? Is it setup to provide DHCP addresses? And have you checked with another machine on the external network that it is able to get DHCP leases from the router? Also, why have you changed the internal network IP address? It is supposed to be 192.168.80.1 and somethings are hardcoded to that subnet... you need to change it back to .80

The avahi suggests that it is trying to get a DHCP lease and failing.

Alaith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 05:58:52 am »
Thank you very much for the reply.

I just changed it from 80 because 100 is the subnet I have almost always used. I'll change it back to 80 and see if that fixes anything.

My network architecture is:  Cable Modem --> Core --> Switch --> MD(s)

The cable modem was provided by my ISP and is not configurable. I am able to get leases on my other systems when I connect them in place of the core.

Alaith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 06:25:26 am »
Changing back to the right subnet for the internal card fixed my external IP issues. Which, in my mind, doesn't make much sense, but it worked so I guess that's something. I feel really ignorant now :S

I guess I figured that since it was changeable, that it wouldn't be so critical which subnet I ran on ...

Thanks for your help!

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 10:15:41 am »
Alaith,

unfortunately, there are still a couple of places where the 80 is hard coded. Feel free to browse thru the src code at http://svn.linuxmce.org/svn to find and fix those. Also, make sure to look thru the database, to make sure none of the device templates have the 80 hardcoded.

;-)