Author Topic: 0810 Alpha install problems - how long to wait?  (Read 6166 times)

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
0810 Alpha install problems - how long to wait?
« on: July 10, 2009, 09:59:06 am »
Hi All,

I have heard that I should be patient with the install as some parts take a while (servers overloaded?)

Having said that - after take about 3-4 hours to get past this section (after the mce-install.sh)
Code: [Select]
Unpacking pluto-sample-media (from .../pluto-sample-media_2.0.0.44.0901260810_i386.deb) ...

I left it on overnight and the installer appears to be stuck here:
Code: [Select]
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  video-wizard-videos
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 469MB of archives.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  video-wizard-videos
Authentication warning overridden.
Get:1 http://deb.linuxmce.org intrepid/lmce-alpha-latest video-wizard-videos 1.1 [469MB]

Should I keep waiting or is there something wrong here? Anyone else done an install in the last 24 hours?

EDIT: Note  - internet access it not a problem (Cable and it is working)

Cheers,
WR
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:01:26 am by wombiroller »

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 0810 Alpha install problems - how long to wait?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 03:52:18 pm »
WR,
I've had to wait too to get that archive down. It eventually came down but I had to wait overnight, came down sometime during the next day as it had moved on when I got home from work. I only have a 1Mb connection, but the other pkgs come down fairly snappy.

-Coley.

Had these snippets at home, first time around:
Get:1 http://deb.linuxmce.org intrepid/lmce-alpha-latest video-wizard-videos 1.1 [469MB]                                                                       
Get:2 http://deb.linuxmce.org intrepid/lmce-alpha-latest video-wizard-videos 1.1 [469MB]                                                                   
Fetched 18.5MB in 1d 0h14min14s (212B/s)
Next time that pkg downloaded but was left with this.
Failed to fetch http://deb.linuxmce.org/ubuntu/dists/intrepid/lmce-alpha2/binary-all/pluto-avwizard-sounds_1.1-1_all.deb  Connection failed                     
Fetched 194MB in 10h46min27s (4992B/s)                                         
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

Next attempt managed to get everything.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 09:44:28 pm by coley »

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 02:04:16 am »
Thanks coley. i left it again overnight (second night) but still no change...

i tried the below and restarted the mce-install... fingers crossed :)

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 04:22:37 am »
woah, you guys have some seriously bad internet :o

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 05:14:04 am »
actually I have "Cable extreme" which is very quick for everything else... Maybe the fact I am in Aus makes a difference...

Alaith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 05:45:51 am »
Probably, AUS is a long way away from US servers unfortunately. It would be an interesting experiment if these larger files could be downloaded by p2p ... I know that is way beyond the scope of linuxMCE, but I still think it's a neat thought.

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 06:02:56 am »
I guess once the beta comes out its a moot point...DVD installer and all. I thought I should give the alpha a whirl but I can always go back to 0710 and wait for the DVD beta...

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 06:19:18 am »
Probably, AUS is a long way away from US servers unfortunately. It would be an interesting experiment if these larger files could be downloaded by p2p ... I know that is way beyond the scope of linuxMCE, but I still think it's a neat thought.

Alaith - why did you automatically assume the "servers" are in the US?! Its in Vienna, Austria, Hari runs it. The capacity is not unlimited, and this is a half gig file it is downloading, probably with several other people downloading at the same time. The RTT from AU to AT is around 350ms which could mean TCP's congestion control algorithm throttles things a bit, but not down the level we are talking about here... it is far more likely to be just the load on the server.

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 06:26:34 am »
Thanks Colin, good to know. And thanks Hari - sorry to be sucking your bandwidth  ;)

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 03:36:57 am »
I've tried to install 810 3 times and I keep getting stuck on the same thing -- Couldn't find package pluto orbiter - waiting 10 secs to try again.

Has anyone else encountered this? Will it eventually find this or am I up a creek without a paddle. I'm miss my linuxmce!

Alaith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 06:19:10 am »

Alaith - why did you automatically assume the "servers" are in the US?! Its in Vienna, Austria, Hari runs it. The capacity is not unlimited, and this is a half gig file it is downloading, probably with several other people downloading at the same time. The RTT from AU to AT is around 350ms which could mean TCP's congestion control algorithm throttles things a bit, but not down the level we are talking about here... it is far more likely to be just the load on the server.

Ahh ... okay sorry for being naive. I'm not sure why I assumed that the server was in the US. With new data centers (and private servers it seems) popping up all over the place I shouldn't be so sure anymore.
My mistake.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 10:37:50 am »
no worries... in the very short term it is likely that the DVD installer will be available (at least 2 different people are looking at it) so we will be able to bit torrent it again, and that will eliminate this issue completely.

the anxious

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 05:56:24 pm »
I've tried to install 810 3 times and I keep getting stuck on the same thing -- Couldn't find package pluto orbiter - waiting 10 secs to try again.

Has anyone else encountered this? Will it eventually find this or am I up a creek without a paddle. I'm miss my linuxmce!

I missed some days getting this same error...
To solve that I burned another cd with kubuntu 0810 (downloaded from the wiki - link - http://mirrors.ccs.neu.edu/releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/8.10/kubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso). Just run the upgrades by aptitude.. not from the desktops alerts..

After this I follow the instructions and the instalation was ok.

Now I just have problems with my video card.. following the instructions, when I installed kubuntu I activate the restricted driver, everything works well, but after MCE installs I just get strange resolutions, I try to fix changing xorg.conf file but doesn´t worked...I enable again the restricted drivers but after restart I just get the black screen with DCE ROUTER LOGIN:.... :/

Asus M2N-E-SLI, 2GB Kingston, HD 500GB Seagate, Hauppage PVR-500, Geforce 7300GS, Fiire Chief, Nokia N800, Samsung LN32A330J1 32", HA22, Intermatic Switches, USB UIRT, Xantech 286 double emitter,