Author Topic: gpodder integration scripts  (Read 2767 times)

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
gpodder integration scripts
« on: June 29, 2009, 06:09:31 am »
I have been using gpodder to download my audio and video podcasts for quite some time now. It has a very strange file folder structure and file names, so I found a couple of nice scripts that fix that problem. Then I got tired of no ID3 information associated with the files and fixed up the script to write some of them out. I am still having some problems with it dumping out incompatible ID3v2 codes that LinuxMCE can't seem to read (nor can the command line id3v2).

Here is the file I put in cron.daily, you will have to change the paths and users:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash

su -c "gpodder -r" youruser
su -c "python /path/to/script/gdfs-init.py --yes /mnt/device/yourdevice/public/data/videos/podcastlink" youruser > /dev/null

Run sudo apt-get install gpodder to get gpodder installed. Then run gpodder as your favorite user and subscribe to all the podcasts you want. Put that username into the cron script above. Save the attached python script somewhere and put that location in the cron script as well. Change the long path to where you want your podcasts to appear in your filesystem. It MUST be on the same hard drive as the original files because this script creates a hard link to those files.

This script will give id3v1 tags for now until I can figure out how to get fully compatible tags out of it.

Disclaimer: I don't know python at all. If anyone knows how to fix the ID3v2 tagging problem, please let me know! :-)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: gpodder integration scripts
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 11:27:36 am »
Make sure to create a folder.lock (see wiki for details), because otherwise, if UpdateMedia runs while a download take place, UpdateMedia might crash.

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
Re: gpodder integration scripts
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 10:14:58 pm »
Thanks! I will do that right now.