Author Topic: Can't re-create device 810 alpha 2.24  (Read 2588 times)

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Can't re-create device 810 alpha 2.24
« on: July 03, 2009, 05:21:52 pm »
I have a DLINK 2 bay network storage device with 1 - 1TB drive (drive 1) and 1 - 500G drive (drive2).

Out of three rebuilds of 2.24, twice now drive1 has failed to appear under Media> Video.

This is after being selected as windows share, public and don't write to it without being told to.

Drive 2 always appears O.K.

The main DLink device is listed in the core/hybrid device tree with windows share 1 and windows share 2 as subdirectories.

All the child templates look fine.

I have tried to delete only the child device (drive 1).  I have tried to delete the parent Dlink.

Deleting is successful but I can never regenerate the device afterwards.

I have restarted orbiters, dcerouter, reloaded, etc to no avail.

I have to reload from scratch.

Is there some files somewhere I can check to see if something hasn't been left hanging around?

I didn't have this problem under earlier variants of the alpha 2.18/2.19 etc.

I have checked to make sure that there are no unknown devices kicking around in DCE devices.

p.s. I've tried ...

sudo mysql –uroot

use pluto_main

delete from PnpQueue

quit

... no luck.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 06:46:16 pm by pigdog »

pigdog

• View Profile
Re: Can't re-create device 810 alpha 2.24
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 08:03:46 pm »
I went back again thru PnpQueue and I found an entry that matched my DNS-323 MAC address with an IP address of 192.168.80.129.

There was no 'lspci' info string or no info where /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices normally resides.

When I selected the IP Address from PnpQueue I had five entries.

Probably the webpage (on the device), 2 DLINK-CDBC47 and 2 blank entries.

I deleted the IP address.

I rebooted to be sure.

The DNS 323 was rediscovered as a file server.

Disk2 was detected first, then the web_page, then Disk1.

I clicked on O.K. at each prompt and when all was finished I did quick reload from Advanced> Quick Reload.

Checked Media> Video.  Still don't have Disk1 data.

Will try again later.

Just heard the call of the wild beer - have to run to catch it.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 10:40:30 pm »
I powered down the DLink.

Deleted the device frm device tree, did a "Full Regen All" with "Reset Router when done regenerating" (checked) from the "Orbiters" device view.

I went back to PnpQueue and deleted the DLink IP address.

Full Regen and Reset Router again.

Turned on Dlink and was rediscovered.

This time when asked OK or reload router on detection I selected "Quick Reload".

Did the regular public, Not unless asked etc., for each disk.

At the end of device detection did second "Quick Reload" when prompted and this time got both disks appearing in Media> Video.

When I compared the PnpQueue between "no disk1 view" and "disk1 view" I didn't see any difference in device assignment.

I can attach if required.

Is this considered a user install error?

It a bit of a pain having to go thru mySQL to get the device fully removed before it can be re-discovered.

No offense!  Not that I'm bitching.  There's a work around.  Really, I'm fine - quite happy!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 10:52:40 pm by pigdog »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 11:48:30 pm »
pigdog,

a couple of notes

* Full regen all does not do a full regen for all orbiter. If you want to fully regen an orbiter, you have to select the specific orbiter and do the full regen for that orbiter
* PnpQueue: Did you go into the web admin Advanced / Configuration / Unknown Devices and try to unlock the D-Link? Helped me quite a bit.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 01:28:22 am »
Hi posde,

I have checked to make sure that there are no unknown devices kicking around in DCE devices.

Yes I checked that.  Unknown & DCE.  Nothing showed up.

When I deleted it [it] seemed to delete.  However, it didn't want to rediscover.

I did a full regen on my Core/Hybrid.  At this point that was all I had installed.  No MD's programmed yet.

I'll do them probably tomorrow.  One of them I have to edit tftboot-default to acpi on or just delete acpi off until it builds.

I was wondering if I could try to find something elsewhere to help troubleshoot?

It just seems odd that if I say O.K. and wait until all 3 items have been discovered (web page and 2 drives) and then say regen...

...compared to saying regen and not O.K. each time prompted (but only twice) different results (can or can't see disk 1) are returned.

Especially after PnpQueue looks exactly the same for both scenarios. 

Is there something else that doesn't get set depending upon how the steps are followed?

Sorry, just curious and wanting to help if I can.