Author Topic: 810 and MSI Wind PC\Nettop's  (Read 2312 times)

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
810 and MSI Wind PC\Nettop's
« on: June 30, 2009, 04:41:46 am »
This thread is mainly for those of us with the MSI Wind PC\Nettop computers being used as MD's (or anyone else that wants to jump in.)

So tonight I finally got around reinstalling 810 (few days ago) and tonight attempted to add my first MD, The MSI Wind Nettop.

After first boot, I had to change the arch to i386 (no surprise) and it booted into the av wizard like a champ. So it is basically plug and play now for the NIC. I am assuming the same for the PC variant as the only difference between the 2 is a dual core on the Nettop.

I choose UI2 in order to see if the photo issue is resolved... Unfortunately, once up, the background is solid black and the UI on the bottom of the screen is messed up, along with all of the menu's. Here is what I mean: http://i40.tinypic.com/309k0lx.jpg

Not sure what to do, I tried adding a custom resolution appropriate to my monitor (1680x1050) to the MD(updated wiki for this as well), rebooted and ran the AV wizard again. Once back up, there was no change to the screen shot above.

I then attempted to disable the PSS, but there was no change from this either.

Knowing there are several of us out there with these machines for MD's, I wanted to try to pool any info or suggestions others have on this issue. I'm sure we do not want to be limited to UI1 on these machines. As most of you are still on 710 (assuming as I couldn't find any posts on this) I'll test out any suggestions anyone has as well.

Assuming no issues with the eeebox as i didnt see anything on that, but I'm sure some ppl are using it on 810.

-Pnuts

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 04:48:40 am by Pnuts »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: 810 and MSI Wind PC\Nettop's
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 12:52:53 pm »
that's strange - if you have disabled PSS then it cannot be the screen saver causing the problem.... although I do recall mention of the symptoms you describe somewhere more generally... can't remember if it was here or outside the LMCE community....

Certainly it sounds like a video driver issue... any chance you can compare what driver you are using now with previously? Currently not in a position to upgrade myself as I am totally dependant on the Fiire remote.

Col.

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 810 and MSI Wind PC\Nettop's
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 04:38:31 pm »
colin,

Up until now, I had only used the machine as a MD in 710 using whatever is defaulted. Had to disable PSS for it to work, however I did notice a few things in 710. The time from first displaying the PSS to the time it froze was pretty consistent, and the lower the resolution was set at, the longer it took before it froze. That probably has no relevance on 810 now, but just something I noticed.

As for now, I should be also using the default driver for Kubuntu. I'll try to check when I get home tonight to verify what I'm using.

If anyone with an eeebox on 810 is readying this, would you mind sharing your xorg? I just want to compare them tonight and see if anything stands out.

-Pnuts