Author Topic: Hardware compatibility issues  (Read 3133 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Hardware compatibility issues
« on: August 04, 2006, 01:07:29 pm »
Hi,

I have been running Pluto for a while, and our automation system http://www.noemon.com.au has some connectivity to the product. We are looking at Pluto as a turnkey product to fit in with our product. We also tried to display the product at an Australian home theater show, however we decided against it as the support with our product is still flakey. We did have issues with the guys at Pluto trying to get this running and more so there time, they are flat out".  Currently I run a hybrid with 4 MD's. However I get some major performance issues when it comes to running all 4 MD at the one time especially if I have the same film showing on two. This makes sense as the read of the drive can not service the entire request at once. BTW Pluto server is connected to a Cisco gigabit switch and 100m to the MD..... I decided to upgrade my Pluto server but can not get it to even load, here is my problem....

New system is:-
Gigabyte GA-8N-SLi motherboard
Intel 2.6 P4 D processor
2 Gig dual channel ram
2 x 400 G SATA HD's

I have two problems:-

1. Marvell gigabit net card is not recognised, I am sure this is no biggy as fedora 8 detects it no problem.

2. I have my drives mirrored to reduce my read issue, and I get a no partionable media found, I have tried installing with out a raid config and still no luck. Yet fedora works fine both ways.

Does anyone have any answer that maybe able to help me???

Mike

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 04:53:59 am »
try the new .40 release.  it has a new kernel with more drivers supported

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
raid 5
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 02:44:42 pm »
Hi,

I bit the bullet and bought a asus p5w dh mother board and an extra h/drive.

the asus is a very good board, and everything works well. however as my linux skills are not all there i am still having trouble configuring raid.

i have 3 x 400 gb sata drives and a 82 g ide

at first i wanted to set up the three sata as raid 5 but i have no idea how to do this within pluto. if i set it up in the bios; pluto still shows me the 3 drives not a single raid drive. can any one suggest how i can either set up the bios raid or the pluto raid. any help would be muchly appreciated.

Mike

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 03:48:06 pm »
The motherboard that you got has indeed some raid features but most of the raid magic is done within the windows driver itself, is something like 'hardware optimized software raid' if you know what i mean, that's why the Pluto installation saw the raid as 3 different hard drives.

Linux supports software raid without requiring any special hardware but we don't support that in Pluto yet. You can learn more about it on this howto http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html for now.