Author Topic: Linuxmce wizard does not start  (Read 2566 times)

joepaccione

• View Profile
Linuxmce wizard does not start
« on: June 28, 2009, 03:30:13 am »
This is my first time install.   I have downloaded Linuxmce 07.10 RCE. Burn DVD as instructed.  Installed from DVD seems to have run all the way to the end. asked me to remove DVD and press enter. I did.  I saw the message "Starting Samba   OK"  flash by.  screen went black for a while then a prompt came up "dcerouter Login:"  and then is it.

I have down loaded twice and burned DVD 3 times.
Anyone have an idea where I went wrong.

Asus A8N32-SLI
AMD Athlon 64 X2
Geforce FX5200

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Linuxmce wizard does not start
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 03:46:07 am »
After removing the DVD and hitting enter, the system should have rebooted. If it did this, and then eventually gets to the dcerouter login prompt but does not go any further then you may have an issue with X not starting. Generally, if X doesn't start, then if you sit there and watch the dcerouter prompt it will occasionally flicker, go to a black screen, then come back, again and again... this is X trying to start up but failing.

If this describes your symptoms, then you should try reading through the X log, here /var/log/Xorg.0.log as it will list the reason why it is failing. Often you need to update the driver. You can either ssh into the box from another machine, or reboot the core and when you get to the GRUB start menu it gives you 2 seconds to hit ESC and then you can choose recovery mode to get a command line. From the command line, review that log file and see where it fails. If you need to update your driver, you can do it from the recovery mode by following the Display Drivers article on the wiki.

joepaccione

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 06:09:20 pm »
Yes that does describe by problem perfectly.  Only thing I could find in the log was the message: AIGLX:screen 0 is not DRI capable.  But this maybe the log from the bootup only to Grub. Not the the boot where the screen where X fails.  Anyway this got we in the right direction.  Replacing drivers is a little beyond me right now.  But I did put a DVI to VGA converter on the video cable and plugged into the VGA port on the screen. Now I can get to LINUXMCE setup.  So great thats got me going.

Now does this mean I can only use the VGA connection?  Or if I update the driver than both would work?
Thanks
Joe

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 12:03:06 am »
Lets be clear... there is only really a problem if the dcerouter login screen keeps coming back after a brief blank period. If the screen goes blank and stays that way, then it is just using the wrong video port output and you need to read the wiki more for assistance. Under the AV Wizard article you will find the keyboard short cuts needed to change the video port output. But if it is still cycling back to dcerouter continually, then the next step is to install the latest drivers. It is very straight forward.

BTW, the log file is only written to during X startup, which hasn't started by the time you get to the GRUB boot menu, so that log file represents where X was up to last time you booted prior to using the GRUB menu.