Author Topic: Stacked Core?  (Read 4536 times)

apalrd

• First post!
    • View Profile
Stacked Core?
« on: June 25, 2009, 04:16:00 am »
I have a suggestion/feature request: stacked core
Here's an example:

say there is a large RV with several TV's, several MD's and a Core.

While away, the Core would take pre-downloaded media, DVD's, and a sat. and send it to the MD's. No link to home.
While home, the Core could be connected to the home Core (via cabled ethernet or wifi) and the two Core's would share recorded shows and DVD's. How easy would this be? Would it be as simple as manually copying the files from one core to the other? Could a system like this be programmed into the UI so this could be automated by the MD's on the rv core's net or the core's webui? Could the home core use the rv core's Sat tuner if the tuner was connected directly to the rv core? One other thing, could calls be routed to the RV while at home?

Apalrd.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Stacked Core?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 06:50:55 am »
Hello, :)

Anything is possible with patches. :)

-Thom

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 11:04:04 am »
On my personal "list of hacks to try once I have the necessary time and experience" are some thoughts along similar lines.

1) A hybrid that can be disconnected from the home network. This could be a laptop for use watching recorded media when on the road, or a "car-PC" to provide entertainment to the back seats when on long journeys.

2) A (VPN encrypted?) link between two systems. I work in the Netherlands, but live in the UK. Some people have holiday homes etc. How cool would it be if when I'm staying in my room during the week, I could watch my media as if I was at home? Or when you go away to your holiday home, you have full access to your home system?

Oh the possibilities!  ;D
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 07:48:11 pm »
Perhaps the Open VPN discussions may be of some use to you

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8101.30

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 09:00:43 pm »
Set up a dedicate core on VMWare or VirtualBox for your home network, then use the snapshotting abilities to take an image before going away, transfer it to a laptop using the same virtualisation software and away you go! A little tinkering around the edges and you could have a system that would be quite easy to take away with you.