Author Topic: learning pronto ir codes with USB UIRT  (Read 3768 times)

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
learning pronto ir codes with USB UIRT
« on: June 23, 2009, 03:06:58 pm »
I have just purchased a USB UIRT to use in learning the pronto codes for my STB and DVD player.
I have attached the USB-UIRT to my core/hybrid but when I press learn nothing comes up.

This is process i am following.
  • From admin website on core goto wizard -> Devices -> A/V Equipment
  • Select AV Properties for device
  • Select AV Properties for device
  • Then select new Code

Nothing Happens.

I have installed Lrnhelper.exe with the USB-UIRT on a windows XP machine. I can learn the code and test it but when I paste  and test it into the new code box it doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated.

gadget

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: learning pronto ir codes with USB UIRT
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 03:25:28 pm »
Hello.

First question I have for you is which version of LMCE are you running. If it is 710, the USB-UIRT is broken for x86, and an updated driver needs to be downloaded from here:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/USB-UIRT_x86_Fix

If this is the case, then after following that wiki you should be squared away.

If it is not, or you are running the x86_64 version of lmce (known to work out of the box) or the alpha (not sure of its status here), then I would look at which direction the front  of the device is facing. While powerful, the emitter on the usb-uirt can be blocked by line of site issues.

Hope that helps out.

Best Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 03:47:34 pm »
Hi Seth,

I am using 810 Alpha on i386.
I have a GC100 with the IR sensor connected directly to the unit so line of site is not my issue. I can control my AMP with IR port 1 so I am pretty confident GC100 is OK for transmitting.

gadget

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 03:42:31 pm »
I have checked the log for the USBUIRT after trying to learn a code and i am geting the following message.

Cannot find anything for IR 4348401441F0 <0xb77ccb90>

gadget

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 04:48:26 pm »
I have found another thread that does the learning from the UI. When I do it this way the Learning ... shows in the bottom right hand corner but doesn't go away until i hit the learn button again.

gadget

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 03:00:14 pm »
A lot of searching and playing and I have resolved my issue. I am controlling my devices using a GC100 but purchased the USBUIRT to do my ir learning. Once I changed the controlled the controlled by device to the USBUIRT I was able to learn the codes.

However I now have the problem with one of my devices that when I test the learnt code and the USBUIRT it works OK, but switching it to the GC100 the codes are transmitted (lights blink) but nothing works.?? I have changed batteries and the only odd thing that i notice is that each time i learn the code it changes. Still works however when testing with the USBUIRT.

While trying to debug this I noticed the the USBUIRT was showing up as 'pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0+2' instead of /dev/ttyUSB0 in the available com ports. I spen tsome time with the script '/usr/pluto/bin/ListSerialPorts.sh' and have changed line 15 to
Code: [Select]
SedPattern_UsbId='s,^.*(pci.*/*)/usb[0-9]*/[0-9./-]*/[0-9]*-[0-9.]*:[0-9.]*/ttyUSB[0-9]*/tty/(.*)?|/ttyACM[0-9]*?$,/dev/\2,g'

This works for my 810 system, but i don't claim to know anything about 'sed' so am happy if someone else has a better option. (didn't like the serial hack at wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Serial_Hack)

gadget