Author Topic: diskless setup failed  (Read 6987 times)

speedyone

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
diskless setup failed
« on: June 07, 2009, 08:39:10 am »
I just rebuilt my core (AMD 64 bit architect) using the Kubuntu 64 bit CD1 & CD2 and the Linuxmce 64 bit CD1 & CD2. When booting up my MD (AMD 32 bit architect) at the point right after it announces itself to the router, I get an error message stating that diskless setup failed.

Can anyone provide a solution?

thanks Speedyone  :)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: diskless setup failed
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 01:41:42 pm »
Copy PlutoMD-i386.tar.bz2 from an i386 install DVD (or .iso) to /usr/pluto/install on the core, then delete the MD from the web-admin (if there is one) and start over.  That should do the trick.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

speedyone

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 11:01:00 pm »
Copy PlutoMD-i386.tar.bz2 from an i386 install DVD (or .iso) to /usr/pluto/install on the core, then delete the MD from the web-admin (if there is one) and start over.  That should do the trick.

Thank you for your reply......it was very useful......I got beyond the previous error and now at the very end of the MD boot process when the AV wizard is supposed to start, I get the following error message -

AV Wizard

Failed to setup X

OK

Any ideas on how to resolve this one?

Thanks Speedyone  :)

speedyone

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 01:34:10 am »

Thank you for your reply......it was very useful......I got beyond the previous error and now at the very end of the MD boot process when the AV wizard is supposed to start, I get the following error message -

AV Wizard

Failed to setup X

OK

I got a little further along.....I installed NVIDIA driver 180.51 and I almost get booted. But at the very
end, in the launch manager, it gets stuck on "activating orbiter".

Any further ideas?

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 10:30:22 pm »
Hi,

On initial start up activating orbiter can take 20 minutes.

If you have a blank progress window screen with a green bar stuck about the middle do a <CTRL/ALT>F1 or F8 and then back to <CTRL/ALT> F7.

If your orbiter has taken 30-40 minutes just reboot.

speedyone

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 03:09:39 pm »
Hi,

On initial start up activating orbiter can take 20 minutes.

If you have a blank progress window screen with a green bar stuck about the middle do a <CTRL/ALT>F1 or F8 and then back to <CTRL/ALT> F7.

If your orbiter has taken 30-40 minutes just reboot.

Hi Pigdog,

I do not have the green bar stuck syndrome you mentioned. I tried letting the MD try and boot for 30 minutes with no luck and then rebooted. Still no luck. I then let it run for a couple of hours....still in the mode of "activating orbitor".

I'm going from the DVI port on my video card to an HDMI/DVI port on my tv.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Speedyone  :)

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 04:26:07 pm »
Hi speedyone,

On a Core boot after the Kubuntu splash screen what normally happens is that you'll see the kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot...

followed by   Orbiter Generation Start and when completed you'll see Orbiter Generation Done (- except probably in your case).

Then X windows starts.

When MCE tries to switch to the X window do a <CTRL/F1) to get the console 1 window (dcerouter login).

Are you stuck at Orbiter Generation Start and nothing afterwards or are you getting any error messages?

Another thing to look at would possibly be your xorg.conf.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 04:35:54 pm by pigdog »

speedyone

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 02:06:41 am »
Hi speedyone,

On a Core boot after the Kubuntu splash screen what normally happens is that you'll see the kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot...

followed by   Orbiter Generation Start and when completed you'll see Orbiter Generation Done (- except probably in your case).

Then X windows starts.

When MCE tries to switch to the X window do a <CTRL/F1) to get the console 1 window (dcerouter login).

Are you stuck at Orbiter Generation Start and nothing afterwards or are you getting any error messages?

Another thing to look at would possibly be your xorg.conf.

Hi Pigdog,

My core boots just fine and is up and running. My MD is where I'm stuck when trying to boot up. I get stuck at "activating orbiter"....no error message. I've tried to look into the xorg.conf. and didn't get very far....the literature I was trying to follow seemed confusing. I'd appreciate any help in this area.

Thanks much,
Speedyone 

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 04:15:46 am »
Hi speedyone,

On your Core the xorg.conf file is in /etc/X11.

On a MD it's in /usr/pluto/diskless/XX/etc/X11   where XX is the number assigned to the MD.

If you are running 2 nvidia cards do a stare and compare to see if you're running vesa, nv or nvidia driver on the Core and maybe something else on the MD.

You can verify the MD number assignment in webadmin> Devices> Media Directors.  Look under the device column.

While you are in webadmin make sure your architecture for the 32bit AMD MD is set to i386 not AMD64 like on the Core system.

On 710 I went with the 32bit install instead of the 64bit.  It (710 32bit) ran much better than the 64 bit variant.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 04:52:23 am by pigdog »

sdredwingsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 11:35:46 pm »

AV Wizard

Failed to setup X

OK

I got a little further along.....I installed NVIDIA driver 180.51 and I almost get booted. But at the very
end, in the launch manager, it gets stuck on "activating orbiter".

Any further ideas?

I have the same situation, can you point me in the right direction on how-to change the nvidia driver?  I'd like to do the same, thanks.
Hybrid/Core: Chenbro PC40523, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core, SILVERSTONE NT07, SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB SATA, PVR-150 Tuner, XFX GeForce 6200 Graphics Card, Openfiler NAS 3TB Raid5

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 01:31:30 am »
Hi,

Here is a link to the wiki for the 710 variant of LMCE... http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers

The 810 alpha variant of LMCE installs differently.

Cheers.