Author Topic: Project Natal  (Read 14763 times)

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Project Natal
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 03:59:43 pm »
Bongowongo: I think it's just you...consider what a nice mic that does true noise cancellation costs, then add the cost of a nice 480p camera with pan/tilt to it.  You might come out to about the same pricepoint of $150USD, but definitely not any cheaper than $150 for nice hardware.  Now think about the other things that you can do with it, you get RGB+d and can scan the room, right now it means nothing to us, but think outside the box, what could you do with a scan of the room?  This thing reads accurately enough that gesture control could mean you sit on your couch with no conventional remotes anymore.  These are readily available to us at any local shack that sells video games, I couldn't go just anywhere and buy a nice noise cancelling mic before.  Also, it only takes up a single USB port and is all in one 'box' so you don't have a bunch of stuff cluttering up your entertainment area.  Just a few benefits of this device that come to mind over the traditional approach.

Schmich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 10:32:56 pm »
And it's available everywhere for roughly the same price and for a long time.

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 11:34:02 am »
it seems there are a bunch of guys out there creating opensource drivers for the kinect.
Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho6Yhz21BJI

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 12:05:29 pm »
Bongowongo: I think it's just you...consider what a nice mic that does true noise cancellation costs, then add the cost of a nice 480p camera with pan/tilt to it.  You might come out to about the same pricepoint of $150USD, but definitely not any cheaper than $150 for nice hardware.  Now think about the other things that you can do with it, you get RGB+d and can scan the room, right now it means nothing to us, but think outside the box, what could you do with a scan of the room?  This thing reads accurately enough that gesture control could mean you sit on your couch with no conventional remotes anymore.  These are readily available to us at any local shack that sells video games, I couldn't go just anywhere and buy a nice noise cancelling mic before.  Also, it only takes up a single USB port and is all in one 'box' so you don't have a bunch of stuff cluttering up your entertainment area.  Just a few benefits of this device that come to mind over the traditional approach.

I just do not see me doing that. There is nothing wrong with a remote control, much easier. I agree upon the cool-factor this device has, but I am a Dutch Calvinist, I do not know what cool is.

pay

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 02:32:18 pm »
Newly LibTISCH 0.1 has been released which should someday control the Kinetic Hardware.. :)
Tangible Interactive Surfaces for Collaboration between Humans : http://tisch.sourceforge.net/

People believe wwhat they see :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho6Yhz21BJI

I find it smtg from funny to geeky.  ;)

Could be cool to use someday...