Author Topic: uPnP  (Read 4242 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
uPnP
« on: July 14, 2006, 09:57:47 pm »
I thought I saw that universal plug and play was supported by pluto. If so how do I start upnp server.

What is MEC under mediadirectors.  This is not  a MCE (media center extender is it). If there isn't a UPnP server can I use Ushare or other  free linux UPnP server.

Thanks

Tim

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
uPnP
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 12:41:16 pm »
Is supported and it's working fine.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
UPnP Server
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 05:50:38 am »
:oops:  I may have asked the wrong question.

Does pluto have a UPnP server to stream media to a UPnP client like a D-link 320 if so how do I start It.

My dlink -320 does not detect any servers, unless I load some kind of UPnP server like Twonky vision on my pluto box.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
uPnP
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 01:05:31 pm »
if you're asking if your md will detected automatically, then yes, with .40 you only need to boot the md over lan and you'll get a popup screen asking if this is a md, you need to assign a room for it.
in .39 you needed to go to pluto-admin, create a room, add new device 'generic pc as md' then supply the mac address and do the setup diskless to get an ip.

mec is indeed a version of media center which we tried to implement, you need to add 'generic pc as md' though.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Am I missing something??
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 06:42:25 am »
1. The Device I am trying to use here is a DLINK DSM 320 Digital Media Player. Not a pc with a pxe boot network card.

2. I have other pxe boot pc's running as Media directors and they are fine

3. It did not make sense to me but I tried to use suggestion above and set it up as a diskless md.  It gets a Ip address fine from  the pxe boot section of dhcpd.conf but boots to its own os not as a md. I don't think this device supports PXE anyway.

4. My Impression of Diskless Media Directors is basically a pc with a PXE capable network card. Are there other devices that can be used as media directors.

5. Are we talking the same UPnP?? I am speaking of the media protocol that is used with windows media connect.  as in http://www.upnp.org/

6. Am I just totally missing the boat here.

:roll:

Thanks

Tim

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
uPnP
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 11:25:17 am »
yes, i think we're not speaking about the same issue
i was meaning device detection (like dhcp) more then a server who manages media clients.
i know that we worked for some time to a upnp server but i don't think the job is done.
you don't have something to start at this time, as a conclusion.

Dan