Author Topic: Shoutcast Plugin  (Read 8822 times)

pga57

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Shoutcast Plugin
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 06:30:15 pm »
and I deselect all other sources besides shoutcast....

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 07:57:56 pm »
I just tried this last night - great work!

Here's how it went down:
1) I added the Shoutcast Plug-In device to DCE Router
-) This caused a software download notification to appear on the Orbiter
-) When complete, I was instructed to reload the router
2) The Shoutcast source did not show up on my DT360
-) The Orbiter binary on the device is clearly too far out of date
3) After a regen, the Shoutcast source was available on the web orbiter
4) The station list loaded (I didn't go through any configuration), though it took a bit
-) It would be great to have some sort of status indication - does the list load show up in Pending Tasks or elsewhere?  MythTV Plug-in sends a notification to all orbiter screens when all the TV guide data is downloaded - maybe this would be appropriate?
5) The Genres were then available for browsing
-) Even though I was in "Title" sort, I was still seeing genres... is this normal? is this correct?  Radio stations don't exactly fit the same attribute structure as single songs, so this might be tricky...
6) I selected a station, and hit play
7) A warning about no device being available to play the media popped up
8) I repeated 6 + 7 about 7 or 8 times
9) Music started playing
10) Future station selections did not display the warning

Overall, I'd say it went pretty well. Thanks for your contribution!

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 10:42:59 am »
Hi jimbodude,

Glad you liked it.

4) At this time, there is no status indication for genre updates, but I like your suggestion of having it in the pending tasks. At least the first updates. Later ones would be run at regular intervals and we don't want it to display a pending task each time.
 Another possibility would be to send a notification when the update has finished. Or maybe both?

5) This is normal, and as you say, it is because radio stations don't fit the normal browsing pattern (Radio stations don't have a performer, or at least it will change over time, and you probably would have a hard time finding your station if you had to search by performer  ;) )
In my mind the Genre -> station structure is the most suitable for finding the station you are looking for, but this doesn't fit the file browser. The current solution contains at least one piece of duct-tape  ;)
I'm open to suggestions...

6, 7)
Yes, this happens sometimes. It will happen if the station you selected takes too long to download its playlist. We might adjust the timeout when downloading these playlists, although it seems to work after a few tries so I don't know if it's that big a deal..

br,
sambuca

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 10:49:05 pm »
I'm assuming the station list isn't being stored to the database yet, correct?  Are there plans in the works to do this?  If so, I would expect a notification on the orbiter after the first update is complete, and I would expect all list update tasks to be visible somewhere - most likely pending tasks.  From what I remember, the Myth guide data update does something similar to this by using a little wrapper script around mythfilldatabase.

I agree that internet radio doesn't fit the current browsing pattern.  I'm not sure what the correct answer is - duct tape is holding well until someone finds the right way.  Searching by who is currently performing on all stations would be a neat trick, but probably pretty difficult to get working reliably, and not terribly useful.

Having to reopen the stream several times is annoying, and really the only "problem" that I saw.  If the main issue is a timeout, then I would say it needs to be increased or a more creative way to avoid the failure could be possible.  Some user feedback while the download and initial buffering is going on would be awesome - "Downloading playlist, click to cancel", "Buffering... click to cancel" are the two pop-ups that come to mind.

Great work so far.

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 05:46:22 am »
Sorry to pull this up from long long ago, but does anybody have this working atm?

I deselect sources, but no shoutcast option for me, not on the onscreen orbiter and no on the DT366.

Regen all orbiters, what else can i try?

Richard

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 05:54:01 am »
I'll add a wizard install for this feature in the next day or so....

In the mean time, did you add the shoutcast plugin as a child of DCERouter? If you've done this, and regenerated orbiters, there should be a Shoutcast Media source when selecting something in Audio.

-Thom

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 06:02:02 am »
it is the child of DCErouter, but no shoutcast source is available

Richard

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 06:03:51 am »
hmm.............

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 04:18:48 pm »
Added the shoutcast plugin as in the wiki, no downloads appeared as of yet.