Author Topic: 8.10 mythtv hdmi problem  (Read 7955 times)

Purplexus

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 8.10 mythtv hdmi problem
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 10:05:49 am »
Forgive as I am still a newbie with linux.... but aren't all monitors supposed to have EDID info?

Are you able to detect which GPU is recieving the EDID info?

ah crap here comes more bad karma :(

I'll just shut my mouth and keep reading.

SORRY!

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: 8.10 mythtv hdmi problem
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 03:42:30 pm »
Purplexus - not quite...

EDID is not a Linux thing, its general...

That being said, EDID doesn't "send" as such, it gets "probed" by the PC, as needed. The point it is being probed is once X is starting up, and at that point the GPU chipset is already chosen. Actually, X will/can probe all EDIDs for all connected monitors. And it will build a valid mode pool based on the results for each connector and GPU. However, it will still choose the configured one in xorg.conf at the end. The other mode pools are just if you happen subsequently to select a different output... it will be ready to validate whether the mode is valid or not.

Realistically, the GPU and connector need to be chosen before X starts, and written into the xorg.conf file. There is no reason why someone could not use another utility/script to do this probing, use that to write/modify the xorg.conf and then start X ready for the AV Wizard.... or any number of other "smart" ways of picking the right output prior to starting X, but updating the xorg.conf file prior to starting X is the key.... however as you can see, this is not a priority, currently.